Clutch replacement cj5

Clutch replacement cj5

Alex

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj5 I6
I pulled the clutch on my AMC 232 i6 with 3speed Transmission knowing the clutch was done. What i want to know is what to look for when finding a used clutch or should i leave it in the garage untill i can put a new clutch? if new what are some reasonably priced and reliable clutch's?
Thanks for any help

Hello and welcome. Don't waste your labor on a used disc. On the cheap you can try to find a tractor truck shop that relines brakes and covers discs. If you can hold out, naturally a new kit is the correct repair. I remember being broke and needing to get to school. You do what it takes to get mobile, right or wrong. Good Luck

the stock borg and beck from just about any parts house will work quite well.

If at all possible avoid rebuilt pressure plates. New lasts so much longer as they have not been resurfaced.:cool:

Alright i will wait till i have the money. How do i figure out the clutch size? there are a few options for the 78 CJ5 from what i see.

measure the one you have to be sure .

auto zone just shows one and it is a diaphragm type not my first choice but I have no good reason for not liking them. It just seems that most of the clutches I have replaced have been diaphragm pressure plates.:cool:

Clutch Set | 1978 Jeep CJ5 6 Cylinders E 3.8L 1BL OHV | AutoZone.com

$AMC 150 should pretty much cover everything you need.:D

Autozone sells cheap :dung:. Get it from NAPA or RockAuto.Com IMO

It may very well be the same brand.:D

measure the one you have to be sure .

auto zone just shows one and it is a diaphragm type not my first choice but I have no good reason for not liking them. It just seems that most of the clutches I have replaced have been diaphragm pressure plates.:cool:

Clutch Set | 1978 Jeep CJ5 6 Cylinders E 3.8L 1BL OHV | AutoZone.com

$AMC 150 should pretty much cover everything you need.:D

Alright ill get a caliper to measure the clutch sizing. autozone napa and rockauto do some of the same parts but rock auto seems to be the best prices so ill do that way considering in canada the cheap clutchs start at 200:cool: how important is it for me to pull off the flywheel and get it machined?

that depends on how badly grooved it is. Did the rivets hit the flywheel? If not I would say go with what you have but that is just my opinion.:chug:

I would never do a clutch without getting the flywheel turned

and I never get my brake rotors turned.:D

Do you have enough time to do the job a second time ?

I really would suggest to pull the flywheel and get it machined, that will be the cheapest insurance, sorta like would you replace the flex plate and pressure plate with out replacing the throw-out bearing ?

I know the flywheel is glazed, some will say use emery cloth to remove the build up, however while the machine shop has your flywheel off have them double check for balance as well.

We all get tight for money at times, do the job correctly the first time and you will much happier in the long run.

In the interest of my continuing education: please explain "glazed". Is this the same as polished?? would the flywheel not become polished in about 15 minutes of run time?? How does a balanced flywheel become out of balance? :confused:

Do you have enough time to do the job a second time ?

I really would suggest to pull the flywheel and get it machined, that will be the cheapest insurance, sorta like would you replace the flex plate and pressure plate with out replacing the throw-out bearing ?

I know the flywheel is glazed, some will say use emery cloth to remove the build up, however while the machine shop has your flywheel off have them double check for balance as well.

We all get tight for money at times, do the job correctly the first time and you will much happier in the long run.

Polished, glazed build up of clutch material.

Loss of flywheel material do to wear.

Fly wheels build heat and get distorted, I would spend the $40 and have the face machined "true" and double check the dynamic balance.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom