Clutch throw out issue

Clutch throw out issue

CarsonCJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Have an 85 CJ7 w/AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l cid. Problem: everytime I hit a good size bump, the bellcrank disengages itself from the Adjuster rod (that fits into the fork). I tried ajusting the clutch and putting a stiffer throwout lever return spring on it with no success. Does anybody have any thoughts as this is becoming quite a hassle. Could the clutch pivot bushing need replaced?

Sounds like you are having a lot of drivetrain movement- check all of your mounts. If there is too much independent body/frame/drivetrain movement that sucker will pop all the time because the linkage relies on all three.

X2 :cool:

Sounds like you are having a lot of drivetrain movement- check all of your mounts. If there is too much independent body/frame/drivetrain movement that sucker will pop all the time because the linkage relies on all three.

Have an 85 CJ7 w/AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l cid. Problem: everytime I hit a good size bump, the bellcrank disengages itself from the Adjuster rod (that fits into the fork). I tried ajusting the clutch and putting a stiffer throwout lever return spring on it with no success. Does anybody have any thoughts as this is becoming quite a hassle. Could the clutch pivot bushing need replaced?

That's exactly why I converted mine to a hydraulic clutch setup.;)

Also that is a symptom of bad motor mounts(76-86 Jeeps have POS motor mounts) & or Transmission mount.:(

Also their are bushings in either end of the bell crank that need to be replaced.;)

Check Novak or Advanced Adapters for a kit, it is not hard, you just need to source some parts and go for it

is converting over to a hydraulic clutch something an amatuer hack can do? how much would I have invest in such a project?

It's been a few years since I did mine, but you can price it online.
The firewall already stamped, but you have to cut the hole & drill 2 bolt holes.
Then install the master cylinder on the fire wall.
Next mount the slave cylinder on the bellhousing the holes were already there.
Adjust rod, bleed it, test drive it.
Not to bad a DIY job.;)
BTW I use factory Jeep parts from 81'-86' 4 cylinder CJ.
This a scan from the Haynes Repair Manual.
View attachment 3020

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom