Correcting drive shaft angle

Correcting drive shaft angle

Flex BT

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7. I6, Weber 38/38 with TEAMRUSH upgrade. T5, Dana 300TC, Dana 30 / AMC 20, True trac w/ 4.10s. 33" All terrains

Blue and rust colored.
My jeep has a pretty significant lift. The drive shaft angle is messed up according to everything I've read. Shims have been put in place to point the rear diff. straight at the transfer case, which is almost flat. To remedy this, is it as easy as just removing the U bolts on each side, taking the shims out and replacing everything? Is it possible to do this without replacing the U-bolts or should I have them in hand already before I start the work? I'm wondering how it will sit with the shims removed or if I will have to reverse them to get it close to correct. Damn POs.

xflq2Bp.jpg

From behind the driver's side tire:
BfltXVX.jpg

A lot of lift kits come with shims to turn the pinion up toward the t/c., if it's pointing to the t/c a double cardan joint shaft should be used.
If you have a large lift the angle might be to steep without the shim for a regular single joint shaft.
What ever you do please go buy new u-bolts, do not reuse the old ones.

Ok, from what I've read the drive shaft should always have the same angle at the xfer case as the rear differential - is the only determining factor between getting a double cardan shaft and correcting the angle whether or not the drive shaft will be long enough or is there another factor? I was hoping I could just realign the rear axle and not have to drop $200 on a new drive shaft.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Oh I see now what you're saying about the angle being too steep. How can I tell?

From what I see the rear pinion angle is fine if you are going to install The double cardian unit.

A lot of lift kits come with shims to turn the pinion up toward the t/c., if it's pointing to the t/c a double cardan joint shaft should be used.
If you have a large lift the angle might be to steep without the shim for a regular single joint shaft.
What ever you do please go buy new u-bolts, do not reuse the old ones.
This is excellent advice, especially the last sentence.

I wasn't planning on getting the double cardan until it was mentioned in this thread, my original plan was to remove and / or reverse the shims to make the angles match (or at least get much closer than they are now). Does it look like it might be to steep an angle to keep the single?

I use single joint driveshafts on jeeps that I spring over but I put about 1 1/4 inch transfer case drop on it which reduces the angle of the top joint

I wasn't planning on getting the double cardan until it was mentioned in this thread, my original plan was to remove and / or reverse the shims to make the angles match (or at least get much closer than they are now). Does it look like it might be to steep an angle to keep the single?

With the double cardian you will not have to lower the t-case and keeping the pinion angle up like that give you valuable ground clearance. You could try the method you suggest and see how it works, I am sure by now you have read Tom Woods "Driveline 101".

There are a few parts that go inside that thing of course, more than just the u-joints. I took mine to a local driveshaft shop where they shortened the driveshaft to the correct length to add that yoke assembly and added a heavier wall tube.

The pumpkin yoke should be pointed straight at the t-case when you use a cv joint. Otherwise, the angle should match the angle of the t-case yoke. For example if the tcase yoke is angling down 4 degrees from horizontal, then the pumpkin yoke should angle up 4 degrees from horizontal. This is adjusted with the shims. A drop in the tcase skid plate may be needed to adjust the angle at the top.

So can I just add a CV joint and one u-joint like this one:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Or does it require a different yoke on the t-case or anything else?

You need a new yoke for the tc.
To stay on the cheap side I would either have a local driveshaft place make one up or you can get a front shaft from a xj or 90's explorer and have it shortened and rebalanced.

I looked on Quadratec and didn't find any yokes that said they were for single or double cardan shafts. Why is a new yoke needed, is it a clearance issue? It looks like the old one would connect to the u-joint the same way.

edit: I did get a new yoke for the transfer case about a year ago but it wasn't specific to single or double cardan either IIRC.

Last edited:
You need a new yoke for the tc.
To stay on the cheap side I would either have a local driveshaft place make one up or you can get a front shaft from a xj or 90's explorer and have it shortened and rebalanced.
The axle end looks fine to me the other end would be your problem and what Old Dog said would be your cheapest route.

Yeah, bad vibrations and I blew up a U joint last year. I was looking at the Tom Woods shafts at $269-$299, any recommendations for cheaper options?

For cheaper options I would suggest using existing parts, like your old driveshaft if it is still any good. I had mine done by a local driveshaft shop though.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks