Crack in transmission case - any ideas?

Crack in transmission case - any ideas?

dabbrowne

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5 (AMC 1976 360 5.9L rebuilt) V8 Edelbrock Weber 1406 4 barrel carb with TorqueFlite 727 Auto transmission, 31" tires, Dana 30 Front Diff, Dana 44 Back , Dana 20 T case.
Hello

I found a crack in my Transmission case. Does anyone know what I can do to keep if from getting worse? It does not seem to be leaking. Please see the pictures. This is a 1973 CJ5 with a AMC 304 and a Auto Transmission .

Hello

I found a crack in my Transmission case. Does anyone know what I can do to keep if from getting worse? It does not seem to be leaking. Please see the pictures. This is a 1973 CJ5 with a AMC 304 and a Auto Transmission .

:)That doesn't look good.............Keep an eye on it......take a center punch and just put a mark on it at the end of the crack. Could be something just on the surface.
Some say you can drill a small hole like about .060 at the end and it will stop it but that really depends on many things.
I would want to know first if the crack goes through or shows up on the inside. You say it doesn't leak ............drive it & watch.

:D:D:D:D

Thats on the bottom of the bellhousing, so its not a super critical area for the operation of the Transmission . It won't leak because its not a fluid filled area.
I'd just clean it real well, bevel the edges of the crack into a "V" shape, then fill it with JB weld. Should be good to go.

Its possible that it is just a casting crack, not a real crack at all. That would take looking at it after its been cleaned real well. If thats what it is, then its not a problem at all.

Thats on the bottom of the bellhousing, so its not a super critical area for the operation of the Transmission . It won't leak because its not a fluid filled area.
I'd just clean it real well, bevel the edges of the crack into a "V" shape, then fill it with JB weld. Should be good to go.

Its possible that it is just a casting crack, not a real crack at all. That would take looking at it after its been cleaned real well. If thats what it is, then its not a problem at all.
:agree:

No, wait. I see dabbrowne has an automatic. That's not a clutch bellhousing. That's the automatic tranny.
That can be a big problem if it leaks.

I'm confused. That does look like a clutch inspection plate (not sealed for oil).
But you do have an automatic? don't you?

EDIT: You have a '73 with an automatic but automatics were not available in '73. What tranny do you have? Trying to compare it to pictures in this link:http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/automatic-cj-transmissions-12123/ Either way looks like that is a crack in the automatic Transmission . Not good.

Last edited:
It is the bellhousing it will not leak because the only thing in there is the torque converter.

Hello Busa

It is an automatic(not stock). BC CJ told me it was a TF727 with a Dana 300 .

I do not know how to confirm what is the engine type. Based on the Vin# the stock motor was a V8 AMC 304 . When I bought it last month the guy told me it had a rebuilt AMC 304 with an Auto tran.

I did mark the crack so I can tell if it is getting worse.

Thank you

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom