Crack in transmission case - any ideas?

Crack in transmission case - any ideas?

dabbrowne

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5 (AMC 1976 360 5.9L rebuilt) V8 Edelbrock Weber 1406 4 barrel carb with TorqueFlite 727 Auto transmission, 31" tires, Dana 30 Front Diff, Dana 44 Back , Dana 20 T case.
Hello

I found a crack in my transmission case. Does anyone know what I can do to keep if from getting worse? It does not seem to be leaking. Please see the pictures. This is a 1973 CJ5 with a 304 and a Auto Transmission.

Hello

I found a crack in my transmission case. Does anyone know what I can do to keep if from getting worse? It does not seem to be leaking. Please see the pictures. This is a 1973 CJ5 with a 304 and a Auto Transmission.

:)That doesn't look good.............Keep an eye on it......take a center punch and just put a mark on it at the end of the crack. Could be something just on the surface.
Some say you can drill a small hole like about .060 at the end and it will stop it but that really depends on many things.
I would want to know first if the crack goes through or shows up on the inside. You say it doesn't leak ............drive it & watch.

:D:D:D:D

Thats on the bottom of the bellhousing, so its not a super critical area for the operation of the transmission. It won't leak because its not a fluid filled area.
I'd just clean it real well, bevel the edges of the crack into a "V" shape, then fill it with JB weld. Should be good to go.

Its possible that it is just a casting crack, not a real crack at all. That would take looking at it after its been cleaned real well. If thats what it is, then its not a problem at all.

Thats on the bottom of the bellhousing, so its not a super critical area for the operation of the transmission. It won't leak because its not a fluid filled area.
I'd just clean it real well, bevel the edges of the crack into a "V" shape, then fill it with JB weld. Should be good to go.

Its possible that it is just a casting crack, not a real crack at all. That would take looking at it after its been cleaned real well. If thats what it is, then its not a problem at all.
:agree:

No, wait. I see dabbrowne has an automatic. That's not a clutch bellhousing. That's the automatic tranny.
That can be a big problem if it leaks.

I'm confused. That does look like a clutch inspection plate (not sealed for oil).
But you do have an automatic? don't you?

EDIT: You have a '73 with an automatic but automatics were not available in '73. What tranny do you have? Trying to compare it to pictures in this link:http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/automatic-cj-transmissions-12123/ Either way looks like that is a crack in the automatic transmission. Not good.

Last edited:
It is the bellhousing it will not leak because the only thing in there is the torque converter.

Hello Busa

It is an automatic(not stock). BC CJ told me it was a TF727 with a dana 300.

I do not know how to confirm what is the engine type. Based on the Vin# the stock motor was a V8 304. When I bought it last month the guy told me it had a rebuilt 304 with an Auto tran.

I did mark the crack so I can tell if it is getting worse.

Thank you

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$210.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks