Dana 20 over fill

Dana 20 over fill

driver007

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj5 304 v8, 300 Dana,model 30 Dana and model 20 AMC rear end
I started to get a leak after driving showing up on the floor. The transfer case was filled up a couple of years ago with oil and was filled up while still in the jeep. Well I thought I would check the oil level on the tranny. The level was down a bit so I added. When I checked the transfer case I pulled the side plug and a butt load of oil came out. What am I missing I remember just filling until it came out the fill plug. The oil should just be up to the fill plug. I thought. The Jeep is a 76 CJ5 Danna 20 transfer case. Any idea what's going on.

Your oil is moving between the two cases, in a T-15 (I don't know what transmission you have IT might be a T-150), that is common, but it's not returning, also not uncommon. If it were mine I'd drain both the transmission and the T-case while looking for water in the oil. then on level ground, refill both. Then keep an eye on the levels in both cases.

This is a common issue. You should be ck'n the oil level at every engine oil change.
See if the tranny's vent is working and clear of crud.
LG

So the fluid is moving from one to another. And the only fix is to pull and replace seals I asume. Wow another project. Is there a common reason that causes this to happen that I could avoid in the future? The tranny is the four speed with the bull low.

Depends on the transmission/t-case combination. I've been in discussions about this before, but in some transmissions like the T-15/Dana 20 and T14/Dana 20 the fluids move freely between the two cases .... they are open to each other. I really don't know about the T-150 .... The T18's have a seal between the two. Try to make sure which combination you have before tearing anything apart.

Drop the oil and check for water. There are several ways water can find it's way into a T-case, you don't necessarily have to be doing water crossings.

I have had good luck with a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak mix'd in with the gear oil of the tranny, to stop the oil movement.
What weight oil are you using in the tranny and t'case?
LG

I put in gl 4 witch is hard to come buy here. I was able to get 5 gallons found in the back of a shop, the monster mudders up here use it also. I think 90 weight. I would try a can of snake oil but with my luck Id be looking for a new tranny. Just have to get of my rear end and pull it. Ill shoot some picks when I do

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks