Dana 20

Dana 20

harborman

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5
On my 79 CJ5 I found a piece come out when I drained the Dana 20 Transfer Case . It looks to be part of a large spacer or shim, but I can't see anything like it in the parts description. I pulled the T case out and there is nothing I can see broke.

There is a shim spacer between the gears on the front output shaft, it could be that. It would need disassembled to check.

There is a shim spacer between the gears on the front output shaft, it could be that. It would need disassembled to check.

Judging by the radius of the piece, it looks to be maybe from a 3" or more in diameter shim or keeper. There is a spacer or keeper around the end of the Transmission output shaft which is about that size but it looks OK. I don't see any unusual play in the gears or damage in the Transfer Case .

I'm thinking it might be the side washers on the middle gearset. #20

dana20.jpg

That would be the next thing I would check,too. I would say a tear down would be needed. It would worry me to get something in the gears or the intermediate neddle bearings.

That would be the next thing I would check,too. I would say a tear down would be needed. It would worry me to get something in the gears or the intermediate neddle bearings.

Yes, possibly but that shaft is quite small and this part fits something much larger than that shaft. But I will look into it.

Thanks for the help.

A small segment of it.

A tear down is in order. The good news is the gears are probably OK. Don't wait too long.

Any chunk like that is cause for concern.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom