Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5
-Dana 300 twin stick transfercase
-T176 Transmission
-AMC 20 rear
-Dana 30 Front
Tried searching the net...and here...but can't find the answer to the question ..

Can I remove the Transfer Case without removing the Transmission or do both need to come out in order to rebuild the TC.

trying to rebuild the Dana 300 and replace seals and stuff to fix the seaping...and also break it apart to check and see if it's just the crappy twinstick job the PO did or if there's actually something amiss in the Transfer Case

As it stands the left stick (rear axel) will shift from N to 2H....the right stick (front axle) will remain in N...seems like I'm able to move it into 4H but will not stay..and does not seem like it's fully in

So figure I wanted to solve the fluid seaping issue, might as well rebuild (read it's easy to do) just want to plan it out and if I have to remove the Transmission fine..but if I don't need to...great!

:chug:

yes you can remove it while leaving the Transmission in the jeep. you will just have to prop the Transmission up, because when you drop the skidplate, the Transmission and Transfer Case will come down too

cool....the skid plate does not attatch to the trasmission?

reason I ask is this might be a project that takes more than a few days to do....first time attempting a tc rebuild lol..so needless to say I don't want to worry about the Transmission falling out LOL

figure once i remove the TC will put the skid plate back up and hopefully that's enough to hold the Transmission ....and give me time to do the rebuild..or worst case send it out to be rebuilt :-)

if you have 2 jacks it makes removal easier.

jack number one can be used to support yoke of T?C..dont jack it up by the yoke just support it.

Jack number two then gets jacked up firmly under the skid plate. Then remove the bolt's (2-3) that holt the Transmission mount to the skid plate. Once thats doen carefully unbolt the 6 (maybe 8) bolts that hold the plate up. Lower jack making sure the T/C is secure and not going to fall. Once jack and plate are down remove plate and then raise jack to support Transmission .

relocate jack number 1 to support weight of T/C then unbolt it and care fully remove it. chances are unless you are hulk type or have some one to help you steady it, you will loose control and drop it on your hand (experience).

Once the T/C is out decide if you will need to move the jeep.. if it will need to be rolled around reinstall the skid plate. If the Transmission is released and not secure the whole motor/Transmission assembly will pivot back and could mess up your motor mounts and damage the fire wall/valve covers (experience again)

Good luck

I usually just drop a strap through the inspection cover and support it from above. It's not going anywhere and you dont have to deal with jacks in your way when you drop the crossmember.

Thanks all for the awesome advise....crawled under there today and got a good idea of what to expect now!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Slapatalk

X2 with CJim7. 2x4 from door sill to door sill and straps. There is also a seal in the 300 to T-176 adapter that you will probably want to replace.

The 300 is HEAVY 90 pounds or so.

X2 with CJim7. 2x4 from door sill to door sill and straps. There is also a seal in the 300 to T-176 adapter that you will probably want to replace.

The 300 is HEAVY 90 pounds or so.

Yeah most people say "90lbs" ain't much.....but when under a vehicle 90lbs feels like 200 lol

I might go the route of picking up another 300 and rebuilding it to make it a swap out as opposed to a pull out and rely in straps for "however" long lol

Thanks again guy for the cool tips and such

Sent from my iPhone using Slapatalk

Also! Those wishing to do a rebuild if the 300. There is an article in this months issue of crawler mag....talk about cook timing

Sent from my iPhone using Slapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom