Dana 300 T-case Problem

Dana 300 T-case Problem

coltat4wp

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 Jeep CJ-7
I have a Dana 300 Transfer Case in my 83 CJ7 . Two weeks ago I started to get a gear growl from it at all speeds during acceleration. Took it apart and replaced all the bearings and checked for worn parts. Put it back in and still has the same noise. Does anyone know of a possible solution to the problem I'm having or know of something to look for?

Thanks!

my first thought would have been bearings, but you changed them.
are you sure it's from the t/c, and how do you for sure thats where it's coming from?

forgot to ask does it do it in low range also?

Last edited:
It's not the tranny. Has a 700r4. took both drive shafts off and still there. Doesn't change sound with 4 hi 4 low, front hi only or even in 2wd low. Was wondering if it has to be set up like
a rear diff with shims. Put the new shims in with the kit I bought.

Last edited:
since they are straight cut gears I don't think they would be set like diff. gears.
did you replace both the tappered bearings and the needle bearings?
as for the shims the output shafts both should have .001 to .005 end play.
thats about all I know.

It's not the tranny. Has a 700r4. took both drive shafts off and still there. Doesn't change sound with 4 hi 4 low, front hi only or even in 2wd low. Was wondering if it has to be set up like
a rear diff with shims. Put the new shims in with the kit I bought.
Really confuses me. :)

You pulled both front and rear shafts, then driving up the gears you have the 'noise'?

What does 'Put the new shims in with the kit I bought.' mean? Shims for what?

Just trying to understand what you have done. :)

The kit comes with shims to put between the main drive gear on the output shaft. I pulled out 3 so I put 3 back in. And yes I did replace every bearing in the entire case. Including the needle bearings and the shaft they ride on. Also replace the thrush washers that go on either side of the center gear that house the needle bearings. I used the haynes and chilton manuals but they were just generic tear down and reassemble instructions. At this point I'll either have to send it out for a rebuild or just buy another... Don't want to have to do that though seeing that this is a simple case to rebuild. :confused:

Well I've called alot of people around here and teraflex, and they all tell me to replace the center gear... So my next question would be does anyone have a spare layin around??

None of the syncs have wear on them either. I went over all of it with a fine tooth comb, but was told that the intermediate gear may have non visible wear on the inside where the needle bearings ride. Hoping to find someone who has changed their case over to a 4:1 cause the intermediate gear is changed when you do this. Having a hard time finding one though.

BTW - What intermediate gear? What teeth? Do you have a part #? You need to look at the gear in question and get the part number. There are several gears that ride on the intermediate shaft. They are all 'intermediate gears'.

Now if you need the intermediate shaft, there is only one.

Take a look at this thread -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/transmission-transfer-case-variants-types-cjs-53-86-a-134/

and tell us by # what gear you need.

I called Novak for you, they say they have all that you need, just need specifics. :)

Spicer #8131678. I work at 4 Wheel Parts but discontinued through us. Everyone I've talked to says about 195.00. If one is used and in good shape would be happy with that too.

Check the syncro gears

I didn't know it had any

None of the syncs have wear on them either. I went over all of it with a fine tooth comb, but was told that the intermediate gear may have non visible wear on the inside where the needle bearings ride.

If the gear can be worn inside where you can't see, why would you buy a used one?:confused:

From what i'm guessing by syncros he meant the engaging gears that the shift forks ride on... Just a guess though. Yes, a used center gear would be nice. Of course new would be better. Have already dumped much more into this case than originally planned. The center gear is easy to change so would just like to try a used one to see if it changes my noise. If not than I'll move to buying a good 300 later when i have the cash.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom