difference in 74 and 76 cj

difference in 74 and 76 cj

kodiak0000

Jeeper
Thanks
Hi, i was wondering if there is much difference between 74 and 76 cj's. Alot of sites only offer 76 and up parts. I was wondering if alot of the parts can still be used and interchangable or if there is a difference in the chassis that wont mach, thanks

Somewhere in there they went from a short nose to a longer nose.

Short nose to long nose was 71 yo 72, big changes that year
nest set of big changes were between 75 and 76 when AMC did major changes again
the 72 to 75 jeeps are the interim jeeps, between major changes and some of the hardest to source parts for. There is huge support by specialty vendors for 71 and older, and huge support by most vendors for 76 and later
but the 72 to 75 tend to hit a smaller group of users and suppliers and a good used parts dealer is needed

More things don't fit than do fit between a '75-down CJ and a '76-up CJ. AMC bought Jeep off of Kaiser that was just cranking out basically the army Jeep at that point. AMC totally revised the Jeep and made tons of changes over the years to make it marketable to civilians and comply with cost and fuel mileage constraints.

The change is in the windshield frame. See 4WD.com

that frame changed many times during the years, not just on landmark years

You have to be very careful. Mine is a 75, and as already posted, major changes in 76. For example, I just bought some windshild wiper arms, but the hole to mount them is a different size, they must have given me a 76 or later. Quite a bummer as every time I'm looking for a part, I run into the 76-83 stuff. I was replacing the light up indicators above the knobs that say lights, etc. and they didn't even have one for my hazard switch, could not find it anywhere at any price. So I got one that says lights, close enough, I guess.

On the good side, I have the 44 rear axel instead of the wimpy AMC model 20, I have the T-15 instead of the weaker T-150 , and my AMC 304 puts out a little more HP. Also, my ignition switch is in the dash not the steering wheel, which is easier to work on, and I think, looks cooler.

So you take the good with the bad...

I was replacing the light up indicators above the knobs that say lights, etc. and they didn't even have one for my hazard switch, could not find it anywhere at any price. So I got one that says lights, close enough, I guess.
Mine is also a '75 and a few weeks ago just bought the entire set really cheap. There is a Jeep salvage place a few blocks from me that has everything! I haven't bought any used parts yet as I am restoring mine & used parts defeat the purpose. Anyway she gets me anything I want within a day or two and her prices are awesome!
Send me a message if you still want one & I'll give you the phone number. I'm sure they ship too.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom