Disc brake conversion question

Disc brake conversion question

AdamH

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'06 Rubicon LJ, '81 Scrambler, '06 Commander
I have read the JP article but wanted to ask a specific question here....

I have drum brakes on the front narrow track that is factory on my '76.

I picked up a complete axle assembly with disc brakes also from a '76.

Since both are factory set-up CJ7 axles, how easy of a swap is this gonna be? Like for instance, the JP article mentions shaving here, grinding there.... will I need to do all this?

If you are referencing this article -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f92/drum-disc-brake-swap-plus-9031/

That is different from buying and axle with disks on it already, that was a swap from drums to disks.

About all you will need is some brake hoses or adapters, and a proportioning valve. You may be able to get by with your old master cylinder but I would replace it with one made for discs. Did the 76 have power brakes? Does yours? You may want the booster if you don't have power brakes as it makes those discs work quite a bit better.

Let me clarify... the donor axle isn't going to be used. There are issues with the axle and I have already sand blasted and painted my original axle.

So I am wanting to strip the disk brakes off the donor axle and put them on my original axle that has drum brakes.

I do have a booster installed currently.

I'm pretty sure you should be able to do that without any modifications as long as you strip all the pieces needed (down to the knuckles). The actual axles and knuckles should be the same for discs and drums. Make sure you compare them though once you strip all the parts of just in case I'm wrong and you need to swap knuckles also.

Finally got around to stripping the disc brake set-up off the donor axle. Hope to start the tear down of the drum brake axle within the next week or so.

The donor knuckles, rotors, calipers, etc.. are covered in surface rust. The rotors do not have any grooves in them. Overall they seem to be in good shape sans the surface rust. Worth it to clean them up or just buy new rotors? Also, should I soak the calipers in something?

The donor axle sat outside for a couple years. So far I have $40 in this swap. :D I don't want to throw $$ at it if not needed however obviously I am not going to cut corners when dealing with a safety item!

I'd thake the roters in and have them turned to true them up (and get rid of the rust)
If the calipers slide and the piston isn't rusted (stuck) I'd use them as is.
Just my 2 cents.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom