Build Thread diving in on my 81 CJ-5 build !!!

Build Thread diving in on my 81 CJ-5 build !!!

CJ5cody

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ5 258 I6 T176 trans Dana 300 Transfer case Dana 30up front and AMC 20 rear full cage (no seats) old style diamond tuck and roll pads and bar covers. Tires 33 "
Greeting, my name is Cody ,I recently purchased a 81CJ5, it does not run. I will be rebuilding it ,not a frame off but close to it. Still tying to sort out what I have ,what works and what needs to be replaced and or upgraded. I will start to load some pics. soon.Just opened up the Transmission to find it half full or water or Ice! Any thoughts on the best way to confirm if it's damaged or just needs to be cleaned out?

Read more: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f60/hello-all-11965/#ixzz1gQKnTIt1

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. You will get all the info you need here to completely restor that jeep. This is a great place.

Welcome and good luck with the build.

thanks for the warm welcome. Ya I've seen milky oil before but never have I cracked open the top to see ICE! I'm going to pull the drain plug break out the torch with the rose bud and thaw this thing out and then the real work begins.
thanks again will update as soon as more progress happens, Cheers!

Usually not a good thing finding ice in your tranny. :rolleyes: Somebody liked water crossings or it filled up while sitting Id imagine. Doesnt seem to be a real rust bucket though. Good luck. :chug:

Looks like its in pretty good shape. :-)

Can't go wrong with a Rolling Stones Jeep. Good luck.

Okay well sorry I haven't posted lately but I do have some progress pic's to throw up , this is the floor restoration . bought new fuel tank that will go in next then fuel system up to the carb. How ever I am still trying to decide if I will keep the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l or replace with a V8. did get my Transmission (ice )situation worked out that was interesting but not as bad as I first thought.
I am interested in any feed back and I looking for advice on seats, I have back troubles and need to find the best seats for my Jeep.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom