Door Handles/Locks

Door Handles/Locks

HumboldtCJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Renegade, 4.2L Straight Six, mostly stock.
2 things...

1. The door locks won't unlock from outside the vehicle via key. You can lock the doors but you need to climb in thru the back to unlock them. This very simply sucks and I want to fix it.

2. I'm blacking out any and all chrome on my rig. Don't like chrome- never have. I pulled the the light assemblies up front and did those yesterday and it looks great. The door handles are also chrome and I want to do those as well.

So here is my question. I've heard that pulling those handles off and fixing the locks is a nightmare. But it was only one persons opinion. Will I regret pulling them off to black them WHILE fixing the lock issue? Anyone have any experience with fixing the locks?

-HCJ

How are you making them black??:cool:

2 things...

1. The door locks won't unlock from outside the vehicle via key. You can lock the doors but you need to climb in thru the back to unlock them. This very simply sucks and I want to fix it.

2. I'm blacking out any and all chrome on my rig. Don't like chrome- never have. I pulled the the light assemblies up front and did those yesterday and it looks great. The door handles are also chrome and I want to do those as well.

So here is my question. I've heard that pulling those handles off and fixing the locks is a nightmare. But it was only one persons opinion. Will I regret pulling them off to black them WHILE fixing the lock issue? Anyone have any experience with fixing the locks?

-HCJ

I did the lights assemblies like this...

I bought ultra flat black paint, sanded the chrome with 380 grit sandpaper, primed them, then put 3 coats of the flat black on them. Put it all back together and they look great. Planned on doing the same with door handles but I guess I could just buy them.

Going to go the front and rear bumpers, the spare tire rack, my windshield wipers, and any other chrome I can take off, or tape off.

My biggest concern is obviously the locks though. Any thoughts/experience with fixing them?

I'll try and post up a pic of the lights too. Wish I'd taken a before pic.

questions before any door panel pull.......

when i troubleshoot these type of problems i work from the key to the interior of the door panel

is the key worn looking or new looking?
is the dust cover (small spring loaded "door" in the key hole" ) still there and closed?
have you tried squirting triflow or breakfree or wd40 into the key hole?
(wd40 first to flush out lock triflow second to lubricate)
does the key go into the lock? all the way in?
once inserted does the key stay into place or any play? (up and down not trying to turn it yet)
trying to turn it does it turn at all?
if so do you "feel" resistance (but try not to force it)

most of these questions are the attempt NOT to pull the door panel
most door panel pulls and getting to the lock can be a pain but its very easy once you know what your looking for

but necessary tools if this is your first time......all Bs......band-aids, beer, bottle opener, and a BF flathead screwdriver

but detail pics will help lock face and door panel...

I was gone hunting the past 3 days but I'm going to try and conquer this lock issue here in the next few days. Stand by for thread update!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom