Drive Train Thoughts/Suggestions

CJKrawler

Old Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7

2005 Liberty CRD
I'm new to this forum, and was looking for some thoughts on the drivetrain for my CJ. It is currently a bare frame, that i am cleaning up for new body mounts. I pulled the AMC 304 out of it, also the T-4 Transmission and the Dana 300 T-Case. The Transmission looks to be in good shape, the Transfer Case is stock, but should be fine (for now). I had planned on just freshening the AMC 304 up, and putting it back in, but those plans went south. Looks like i will be needing a new motor. I am planning on going to a 350 now, and my question leads to the Transmission . I see where the T-4 is rated as a light duty Transmission . I would prefer to move to a 5 speed, instead of the 4, and i previously had a TJ with the AX15, which is rated as a medium duty Transmission . Would it just be a waste of time to switch to the AX15, or should i find another Transmission to upgrade to? I do want to stick with the manual Transmission . Any thought sare welcome on this.

If you really wanna go with the 350 I'd suggest a chevy tranny- sm 420 or 465- both super heavy duty with deep first gear. Check out Novak and Advance Adapters- the tell you pretty much all of your swap options and have all the adapters.
Personally I'd keep it Jeep- 360 or 401 with appropriately rated tranny- mmm-T-18 :drool:

Going with a amc 360 would save you a lot of money and headache's.
You'll still have all the power you want.

I haven't gotten all the full details yet. My dad called last night and just said the motor was junk. He said that he couldn't get 3 of the lifters out, so something happened with the cam. He is the expert, so i trust him on it. I just haven't gotten all of the info, and whether I can salvage it yet or not. I have to call him tonight when I can actually talk to get get more info.

Well, I just got more info. The cam and lifters need replaced, needs head work done, sounds minor, but still another cost, and still need to look at the pistons yet. Will have to determine what the final cost will be to rebuild versus just getting the crate 350. I like the idea of a 360, but I dont want to run into the issue of getting one, and having to sink a ton of money into it.

Used 360 - running -$500. - maybe clutch -drops in - no mods or changes needed.

SBC 350, new radiator, Transmission , adapter(s), clutch, clutch linkage, drive shafts, hoses, cables, wiring, floor pan mods, headers, exhaust...

Used 360, not running, $300. $1500 - maybe clutch -rebuild, drops in no mods or changes needed.

I'd work it out with the AMC 304 . Or... 304s aren't terribly hard to come by, you can get one that runs pretty seriously cheap. Or... 360. SOMETHING that bolts up to that same bell housing. T-18 's a good choice to bolt to the other end of the bell housing. Friend of mine's got about four of 'em for sale right now...

Looks like I am hearing a comon theme here. Now i just need for the wife to start living up to being a sugar momma so I can get this toy running :D

Know anyone that wants a AMC 304 and a T-4 Transmission ? :rolleyes:

Looks like I am hearing a comon theme here. Now i just need for the wife to start living up to being a sugar momma so I can get this toy running :D

Know anyone that wants a AMC 304 and a T-4 Transmission ? :rolleyes:

It is so much easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.:D

360's are very common.

And the best thing is that are a direct bolt on for your CJ, No fabbing, welding, adapting or changing.

If you just want to get it running, you don't even need to get rid of that T-4 ... In just a few hours, doing an engine swap you can be enjoying that CJ and letting your hair blow in the wind!

IMHO, stick in a used 360 and drive it, have fun and then decide what you want to change. The investment is minimal and the changes are - zero...

It's a CJ thing! :)

Little update on this, I now have to rework my ideas. Spoke with my dad, he was the bearer of bad new. It will take more money to get the motor correct than to just get a whole new motor. I might already have a buyer for the stock wide track axles, and I will be putting the Transmission up(thanks for the heads up to all) and putting the money into getting back to a rollling chassis. I already have a replacement 9 inch and a dand 44 that are ready to go in. I just need to do the full width kit and some YJ springs, and that will be set. I will post some pics when I get a chance, right now, I think I will sit here, :chug:, and watc:chug:h the hockey game.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom