Drivetrain question

Drivetrain question

jeep cj7 304

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Okay, which is better, a Dana 20 or an np208? I am planning on switching my transmission for a t19 with the 6.32:1 gearing and it comes with the np208, but I don't know if I should rebuild it or stay with my already rebuilt Dana 20. Oh, and I will also be putting in scout axles soon as they are sitting in my garage and I am tired of narrow track axles that are about to break. So stay tuned for a build thread soon.

Okay, which is better, a Dana 20 or an np208? I am planning on switching my transmission for a t19 with the 6.32:1 gearing and it comes with the np208, but I don't know if I should rebuild it or stay with my already rebuilt Dana 20. Oh, and I will also be putting in scout axles soon as they are sitting in my garage and I am tired of narrow track axles that are about to break. So stay tuned for a build thread soon.

IMHO the Dana 20 would be superior. I personally prefer the all gear drive to chain drive & the steel case vs. aluminum. However the NP208 has a lower reduction ratio.

I am not afraid of chain drives or aluminum, but I will say the Dana 20 is a very nice case, you can get a low low kit for it and it is one of the narrowest cases out there making for a very short drivetrain, which in a cheap is very desirable.

NP205 was the all gear driven unit if i'm not mistaken.
But of the Dana 20 or NP208, I'd choose the Dana 20, it strong and is an easy rebuild.

NP205 was the all gear driven unit if i'm not mistaken.
But of the Dana 20 or NP208, I'd choose the Dana 20, it strong and is an easy rebuild.

Dana 18
Dana 20
Dana 300 are all three all gear units.
The New Process 200, 205 are also all gear.

My favorite stock case is the NP231
chain and Aluminum but it has a ton of aftermarket support, probably more than any other case, and I have beat a few all over the place and never had an issue, one I am running 4 to 1 gears in,
Of the 5 cast iron one mentioned here I like the Dana 20 and D300 best. I do run 2 jeeps with the D18 and know every single issue it has, it may be cast and geared, but because of the double offset output it has bearing trouble. I live with the fact it needs a bit more care.
Running CJ5s, I like the Dana 20 over the D300 because of the fact I can get a shorter drive train using it. After those Like I said I just jump up to the NP231 because of the support and my experience with them.
Those are my reasons.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$210.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks