Drivetrain question

Drivetrain question

jeep cj7 304

Active Jeeper
Media
Resources
Thanks
Okay, which is better, a Dana 20 or an np208? I am planning on switching my Transmission for a t19 with the 6.32:1 gearing and it comes with the np208, but I don't know if I should rebuild it or stay with my already rebuilt Dana 20 . Oh, and I will also be putting in scout axles soon as they are sitting in my garage and I am tired of narrow track axles that are about to break. So stay tuned for a build thread soon.

Okay, which is better, a Dana 20 or an np208? I am planning on switching my Transmission for a t19 with the 6.32:1 gearing and it comes with the np208, but I don't know if I should rebuild it or stay with my already rebuilt Dana 20 . Oh, and I will also be putting in scout axles soon as they are sitting in my garage and I am tired of narrow track axles that are about to break. So stay tuned for a build thread soon.

IMHO the Dana 20 would be superior. I personally prefer the all gear drive to chain drive & the steel case vs. aluminum. However the NP208 has a lower reduction ratio.

I am not afraid of chain drives or aluminum, but I will say the Dana 20 is a very nice case, you can get a low low kit for it and it is one of the narrowest cases out there making for a very short drivetrain, which in a cheap is very desirable.

NP205 was the all gear driven unit if i'm not mistaken.
But of the Dana 20 or NP208, I'd choose the Dana 20 , it strong and is an easy rebuild.

My favorite stock case is the NP231
chain and Aluminum but it has a ton of aftermarket support, probably more than any other case, and I have beat a few all over the place and never had an issue, one I am running 4 to 1 gears in,
Of the 5 cast iron one mentioned here I like the Dana 20 and Dana 300 best. I do run 2 jeeps with the D18 and know every single issue it has, it may be cast and geared, but because of the double offset output it has bearing trouble. I live with the fact it needs a bit more care.
Running CJ5s, I like the Dana 20 over the Dana 300 because of the fact I can get a shorter drive train using it. After those Like I said I just jump up to the NP231 because of the support and my experience with them.
Those are my reasons.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom