Drum Brake Spindles Vs Disk brake Spindles

Drum Brake Spindles Vs Disk brake Spindles

AussieCJ7

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 Australian delivered RHD wide track, orginally GM iron duke 4cyl, T5, Dana 300. For now see mods :)
I am building a hybrid front axles

Wagoneer Dana 44 housing and knuckles
Scout axle shafts, hubs and disc brakes

I have some spindles off a 74 CJ6 Dana 30 that had drum brakes and I have the spindles hubs and brakes that are on my CJ7 Dana 30 ('83)

I would prefer to leave my CJ7 Dana 30 complete Disc to Disc as it will be easier to sell but my question is. Is there any difference in the spindles between disc brake and drum brake version. I know the hubs are different but not sure on the spindles. If the spindles are different what are the difference and can they be made to work with a disc brake hub ?

My ideal set up with the parts I have is:

Wagoneer knuckle --> early CJ Dana 30 spindle ---> Scout 5 on 5.5 6 bolt hub --> Scout 11.75" disc brake

This would give me the largest brake and use parts I have on hand but can not find an exact answer if this will work.

Most write ups seem to use chevy small bearing spindles and bronco hubs but neither were never sold here in Aus so hard to come by

I will have a better idea once I pull the scout axle down and compare the parts but was hoping for an answer before pulling everything apart

The disc brake spindles were heavier using a thicker casting. The drum brake spindles had a history of breaking.

The disc brake spindles were heavier using a thicker casting. The drum brake spindles had a history of breaking.

Thanks Torxhead so does that mean they are interchangeable albeit weaker or does the thicker castling also mean different bearings and hub size

As I recall, the disk brake spindles were interchangeable with the drum brake types, I think you should research it though, just to make sure.

As I recall, the disk brake spindles were interchangeable with the drum brake types, I think you should research it though, just to make sure.

Thanks yes been researching also the omix part numbers line up for all years but some other manufactures list 2 part numbers :( hence thought I would throw it out here to see what others have experienced:chug:

Dana 30 and what you need are different. It's the wheel bearing diameter of the spindle that is different. They don't make a bearing with. The right IDand OD.

Dana 30 drum and disk spindles are different too. The disk spindle is longer.

I have a Waggy 44 with Ford F150 disks using the Dana 44 caliper and mount and small Chevy spindles. If you need the diameters, I could measure one tomorrow.

The Waggy spindles won't work either.

Not sure about the Scout axles. I narrowed mine 4" and had the passenger side resplined.

PS Never heard of anyone breaking a Dana 30 spindle and I run em hard.

I have found that on the earlier drum spindles that they do not have the same size inner bearing surface, I cannot say if this is the same as later axles, but on the 60s ones it is so. So you should mic the race surface

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom