Engine EFI and Later Model Air Filter Housing

Engine EFI and Later Model Air Filter Housing

hole

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ 8, 258 I6, T19, 4-1 Dana 300,4.0 Head, Mopar MPI, 10k winch, OME YJ springs w/3" lift,CS 144 Alt upgrade,Locked 20 & 30, Border Collie co-pilots are stock.
Been a while since I've been on the board. Moved out of state a year ago, but had to travel back to old state to finish up some work projects has eaten into my free time. Been running the K&N filter setup with MPI for many years, but its time to ditch it. I want to put a later model air filter setup on my 8 and wonder if any of you fine folks have any first hand experience with which housing fits best. I picked up a YJ housing from a neighbor, but its pretty tight on the drivers side for it, kinda tall too. A TJ assembly looks promising, but thats based on pictures alone.

The K&N setup sits right above the exhaust and doesnt really filter all that well either. When hot I'm battling occaisional vapor lock, so looking at remedys had me pull the intake tube off and I see how little the K&N is filtering, so I'm addrfessing it as well. The TJ setup sits on the passenger side fenderwell and seems like a better solution in theory .

That looks like the YJ box I have. To me, a TJ box looks like it would fit with a more factory appearence and be on the colder side of the engine compartment. It could be me, but my mock up of the YJ box is too tall on the outside of the core support rod, and on top of the power steering pump cap on the inside of the rod. It's possible the YJ box isnt from a YJ, but I got it from my neighbor who was a YJ guy and had multiple of them for parts vehicles so I feel pretty good that its a YJ box.

I use an original CJ one and air intake is right behind left headlight with a Sniper.

I use an original CJ one and air intake is right behind left headlight with a Sniper.
I'm running MPI, not sure I could make that work

Tj air box mocked up, just need to fab a couple support brackets under the box.20230903_115448.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Fabbed up 2 yesterday and painted them last night. I can assemble it this morning and check this project off the list. I think the next one will be Contour fans ;)

I am using the Contour fans. Got a new set from Amazon rather than used from a salvage yard. Came with the resistor block in the shroud. Wired such that the power goes through the resistor block when engine temp hits 165 so the fans run half speed at first. Then at 180 the power bypasses the resistor block and fans run full speed. These fans draw about 22 amps each, so 44 amps total on max speed. That's a huge draw and hit to the alternator to just come on full speed right from the start. That also means you can't use a standard 30 amp auto relay. I used an "irhapsody" 120 amp 12V relay from Amazon.

Ive been thinking about going new.

Dorman 620-104 on Amazon for $119. Or a no-name brand for $68 (but a 10-year warranty): Ford Contour rad fans

And don't forget the special pigtail connectors that fit the fans themselves and also the resistor block: Connectors

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks