Electric choke problem.....HELP PLEASE!

Electric choke problem.....HELP PLEASE!

jsmith0659

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ7 Renegade. AMC inline 6 cyl. 4 speed manual
Hello. I am a new member to the site. I purchased my 1983 CJ7 Renegade about a year ago. I am now starting to tinker with it. It has an inline 6, with a factory 2bbl carb. but whoever had it before me cut the electric choke clip thats connects to the carb. now i am left with 4 red wires that i have no idea where to connect them. Can i replace the clip. or do i have to retro fit somehow? Any help will be much appreciated

i would ditch it all together and put a manuel choke on it.

I agree with dalefan a lot less troubles in the long run.

Many parts stores sell conversion kits. Its pretty straight forward with the instructions. If you still have questions, just pm me.

Rick

An electric choke mechanism is a coil which when cold holds the choke flap shut, as it heats up (due to the electric relay) it unwinds and thus opens the choke and often there is solenoid controlled by the same relay that richens the fuel mixture.

On a manual choke you simply have an arm that the choke cable attaches to which closes off the main air supply and thus pulls raw fuel into the carb. Manual chokes are fine but you need to be pushing it in as the engine warms up whilst electric are normally a bit more forgiving.

If it were up to me I would look at ditching the electric choke for a climatic choke, that's just my preferance though. If your set on going for a manual choke JC Whitney sells this one, I'm sure your local NAPA or O'Reilly or Vato Zone will probably carry one too

CHOKE CONVERSION KITS AUTOMATIC-TO-MANUAL - JCWhitney

Your not old enough to really have the choke closing problem but after a while pushing in the choke and turning off the blinker get to be a real PITA.:mad:

just a couple of the things that make old men seem grumpy.:rolleyes:

An electric choke mechanism is a coil which when cold holds the choke flap shut, as it heats up (due to the electric relay) it unwinds and thus opens the choke and often there is solenoid controlled by the same relay that richens the fuel mixture.

On a manual choke you simply have an arm that the choke cable attaches to which closes off the main air supply and thus pulls raw fuel into the carb. Manual chokes are fine but you need to be pushing it in as the engine warms up whilst electric are normally a bit more forgiving.

If it were up to me I would look at ditching the electric choke for a climatic choke, that's just my preferance though. If your set on going for a manual choke JC Whitney sells this one, I'm sure your local NAPA or O'Reilly or Vato Zone will probably carry one too

CHOKE CONVERSION KITS AUTOMATIC-TO-MANUAL - JCWhitney

Went to Car Quest and they had a nice conversion kit. Got home and realized when removing the electric choke that the (i guess coil housing for electric choke) not only was cracked but was loose and you could turn it. So, I had a spare carb given to be by one of the guys at 4WD hardware which had a working electric choke on it, so I swapped it and plugged it in. In looking closer at it, apparently there is a measured range in which you can adjust it in order for it to choke properly. I'm looking through my FSM but cannot yet find any good documentation on making this adjustment. Many advise me to convert to a fuel injection kit which I would love to do, however the CJ7 I bough has been garage kept for many years with low miles so i am trying to keep it as original as I can. Quite honestly I hate working on carbs, they are a pain in the butt and I suck at it.

just adjust it when it is hot so the choke is just at full open, then check it when it is cold.

Went to Car Quest and they had a nice conversion kit. Got home and realized when removing the electric choke that the (i guess coil housing for electric choke) not only was cracked but was loose and you could turn it. So, I had a spare carb given to be by one of the guys at 4WD hardware which had a working electric choke on it, so I swapped it and plugged it in. In looking closer at it, apparently there is a measured range in which you can adjust it in order for it to choke properly. I'm looking through my FSM but cannot yet find any good documentation on making this adjustment. Many advise me to convert to a fuel injection kit which I would love to do, however the CJ7 I bough has been garage kept for many years with low miles so i am trying to keep it as original as I can. Quite honestly I hate working on carbs, they are a pain in the butt and I suck at it.

An add on question here.
I6 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with MC2100 with electric choke
How long should it normally take for the choke to open fully?
I timed mine today, because it seems to be taking too long, or I'm just impatient. With temp about 70*, it was a little over 5 minutes from cold start to full open.

as long as it takes. this isn't a time dependent device.
I would say the question should be how warm should the engine be and then you would need a way to measure the temperature.:cool:

An add on question here.
I6 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with MC2100 with electric choke
How long should it normally take for the choke to open fully?
I timed mine today, because it seems to be taking too long, or I'm just impatient. With temp about 70*, it was a little over 5 minutes from cold start to full open.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom