Electric fan

Electric fan

drivert51

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1972 CJ5, 304, 3 speed
Thinking about putting an electric radiator fan on, to save a little room. Anyone know the pros/cons?

I am pro electric fan. they are quieter, require less power, operating temp sooner, not running if not needed.

cons: need a control circuit with thermostatic switch and high amp relay. We all know about how much fun electrical problems are with a CJ.:D

If you get one make sure it's at least 2600 cfm (more is better) to keep it cool.
I like the idea that I can turn it off at water crossings, I've seen fans go through rads. before.:eek:
I also have a manual switch so I can turn it on with the engine off to help cool it down.

I was running a Flex-a-lite black magic electric fan that I think is 3000 to 3200 cfm. can't remember for sure, good fan and shroud. I'm currently back to stock fan with a small Flex-a-lite pusher fan (long story). Flex-a-lite I think makes good products.:D

This is another upgrade I plan to do when I install my 304. I thanked you for this thread...

I recommend spending a little more money up front and getting the flex a lite one with dual fans that bolts right to the factory rad mounting locations.

Then get a variable speed controller by flex a lite as well.

I've done a couple junk yard swaps and while they work, I got sick of always looking at how it just didn't fit right.

I drive around in 110* heat and haven't gone over 210;(190* when its only 95 out) should be less once I get rid of these stupid underdrive pullies. When I get home I can hold my hand on the radiator fins its so cool.

edit; best deal on the fans was summit, got the controller from summit racing.

I am pro electric fan. they are quieter, require less power, operating temp sooner, not running if not needed.

cons: need a control circuit with thermostatic switch and high amp relay.
I have a Flex-a-lite dual fans made for a cj comes with control temp unit manual switch .. Dont have to worry about fan going into radiator or a hose while on the trail wheeling

correction; best price on the fans were through amazon

as for me and 'Black Betty' we're going with roll your own as IF something goes haywire I'll know right where to look. That, and the expense of an 'all new' kit prohibits me from going that route. :eek:

If a person was to try a junk yard swap what would be a good donor car? I tried a 98 ford Taurus because I have a few kicking around but they won't fit between the water pump and the radiator on my 304.

I use a dual fan by Flex-a-lite with an adjustable temp controller that I bought at Autozone for $30. It works great for me.

I've heard of people using fans from a Ford Contour or Mercury Mystique because they fit well.

Google should bring up several write-ups on this.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks