Electric Hubs for CJs

Electric Hubs for CJs

GatorBate

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ5 Renegade, 304,TBI, PaceSetter Headers, T-177, D-300-4:1, AMC-20, D-30,(OX Lockers W/Electric Shifters),3.54, XRC8 winch. OME 2" lift
Does anyone know if they make Electric hubs for a 81 CJ5 with a Dana 30 front end?

I've never heard of them, personally. On any kind of rig. Vacuum actuated center disconnect, yea. Electric center disconnect, yea. Not electric locking hubs, nope, sorry. If they are out there, I'd like to see them! :)

I've never heard of them, personally. On any kind of rig. Vacuum actuated center disconnect, yea. Electric center disconnect, yea. Not electric locking hubs, nope, sorry. If they are out there, I'd like to see them! :)

X2, I"ve never heard of them either.
Did you meen an electric diff. locker.

No, I don't think they have electric locking hubs but some 4x4s have auto locking hubs. They are supposed to lock when you shift into 4WD and supposed to unlock in 2WD
Here are the different types of hubs:
Manual Hubs - get out to lock them.
Vacuum disconnect - YJ's have this system to disconnect one axle shaft.
Auto locking hubs - As stated above they lock and unlock.
Fixed hubs - JKs and some other newer 4x4s have the front axle shafts rotate all the time. They never unlock. This is also how big trucks such as cement trucks that drive all the tires work.

The Auto locking hub is what I had in mind. I have my rear axle on the basement floor right now installing an OX locker with the electric shift and That got me thinking that something like auto locking hubs would be great.

I am not sure who (if anyone) sells after market auto-locking hubs. Most people replace them with manual hubs not the other way around. Often they don't unlock. More importantly is when they fail to lock. You would hate to drive into a deep mud pit to find out you can't get into 4WD because your auto-locking hubs don't work.
That's why I like everything manual. You know what state it's in.

Probably one of the best quotes ever. No wonder we all love Cjs
That's why I like everything manual. You know what state it's in.

I was just curious if anyone made such a thing. My super duty may have me a bit spoiled. But, remembering a S10 Blazer I once owned that kept loosing the vacuum on the front diff and my old gmc that only locks in after you don't need it anymore. Ya... Thanks Guys:D

The Auto locking hub is what I had in mind. I have my rear axle on the basement floor right now installing an OX locker with the electric shift and That got me thinking that something like auto locking hubs would be great.

International Scouts used to run an automatic front hub that would manual lock too. I thought they were pretty cool. In the auto position, they would only lock when you applied power. This is great for getting out of a ditch, etc, but not so great off road. For that, you'd lock them in and they'd stay locked when driving off of a hillside, etc.... I believe the Ford Super Duty's have a similar design.

What year of scout?

Your superduty has an electric actuated Transfer Case and vaccum actuated hubs if you look on top of the spindle you will see where the vaccum line hooks up ( if you ever have any problems with your 4wd look there first)

All you need is a set of ScoutII bearing hubs, or some from an earlier CJ. I used the Scout II hubs on my CJ7 . The only thing different was the seal. Bearings and races were the same as my 5 bolt CJ hubs. Jeep CJ Dana 30 uses the same 27 spline outer axle, with the exception that the Scout II outer takes a larger 297 u-joint, like an aftermarket axle instead of a 260 joint on a stock CJ.

Not sure why anyone would want electric hubs. Another wire to break where there wasn't one before.

Some of the old broncos have auto hubs, but they failed often. Don't ask.

Not a big deal to give them a twist, especially with a passenger. It makes them get into the 4 wheeling spirit.

If you don't unlock them for a short distance, big deal. Unlock them when you can.

Not sure why anyone would want electric hubs. Another wire to break where there wasn't one before.

Some of the old broncos have auto hubs, but they failed often. Don't ask.

Not a big deal to give them a twist, especially with a passenger. It makes them get into the 4 wheeling spirit.

If you don't unlock them for a short distance, big deal. Unlock them when you can.

I agree. With manual locking hubs simplicity is king. A lot less to go wrong and really not a big deal to get out and lock them. I use the "unlocking time" to take the opportunity to inspect tires, hubs, axles, and anything else that may have suffered carnage after wheeling.

How many times do YJ/TJ owners get off the trail, hit the 4x4 switch and head home without getting out of their rigs to inspect (because they dont have to unlock hubs). And they are proud of that fact :rolleyes: ...until something falls apart 5 miles down the road that could have been prevented before leaving the trail :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom