Engine build

Ironmerganser

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ7 Renegade - stock 258 6 cyl

2003 F250 6.0 diesel

2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 - wifes baby
Ok...so just a random thought, but can I use a stock AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l lower (block, crank, pistons, etc) with a new Clearwater 4.0 head and then use a stock 4.0 intake, fuel injection and wire harness from a salvage yard?

I know I will need a few other things (fuel pump, crank sensor, etc, etc) but wondering if that would work? I want to keep the low end torque of the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l but want to ditch the carb set up for fuel injection. I don't want to spend the $1600 to $2000 though on an MPI or Howell system.....thinking a nice cleaned up intake, wire harness and fuel injection set up off a cherokee or wrangler would be much cheaper from the salvage yard.

Thoughts?

Not a random thought at all...it's been done several times :D
Your list is pretty complete....remember o2 sensors.

Yeah its possible, my only thought though is why not just find a complete 4.0 from the vehicles you are talking about instead of trying to adapt the 4.0 stuff onto the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , the motors are very similar with about the same power output. Unless you already have a new/rebuilt AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l block, and rotating assembly.

Droooiiddd 2

Yeah its possible, my only thought though is why not just find a complete 4.0 from the vehicles you are talking about instead of trying to adapt the 4.0 stuff onto the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , the motors are very similar with about the same power output. Unless you already have a new/rebuilt AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l block, and rotating assembly. Droooiiddd 2

That is what I am going to do. My AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l has who knows how many miles on it. Any 4.0 I find has 100K+ miles on it. I am going to rebuild my block and rotating assembly and add the 4.0 head and fuel injection.

Its a done deal. Going to start yanking it out this weekend and it is off to the machine shop!!!

Since you are rebuilding the motor and talking about mixing parts i thought you would if nothing else find this intresting Stroker
Also holley makes a TBI (projection) for just under a grand but i have never used it and know nothing about it but it is considerably cheaper than howell

I like the stroker idea.:D

Oh yeah.....a stroker could definitly be in my future. I will be tearing it out and inspecting the motor I have over the next week to see if it is worth using. The block should be good so I am sure I can at least reuse that. :D

OK...found a 1994 Cherokee with 164K on it. Runns good and only asking $1000. Going to haggle a little, but if I can get it for $1000 or less, I think I am going to jump on it as it would give me everything I need for the fuel injection swap.

Now...i am just trying to decide if I just want to go with my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l lower and all the 4.0 upper or if I want to build a stroker.........we'll see. :confused:

Also......this cherokee has a 5 speed manual. Can I use that mated to my original AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and get an adapter to mate it to my original xfer case?

Using the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l bottom end essentially "gives" you a stroker. The longer stroke of the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l combined with the better head of the 4.0 is a potent combination.

Guys will take the crank and connecting rods from a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and install them in the 4.0 for the stroker effect. Other then the slightly larger bore of the 4.0, keeping the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l gets you the same results.

I ran a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l /4.0 hybrid in my CJ and dynoed at just slightly over 300 hp by the time I was done "modifying"

Using the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l bottom end essentially "gives" you a stroker. The longer stroke of the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l combined with the better head of the 4.0 is a potent combination.

Guys will take the crank and connecting rods from a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and install them in the 4.0 for the stroker effect. Other then the slightly larger bore of the 4.0, keeping the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l gets you the same results.

I ran a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l /4.0 hybrid in my CJ and dynoed at just slightly over 300 hp by the time I was done "modifying"

My thoughts exactly. Not searching for 300 ponies :eek: but that sounds like a hoot!!!

My thoughts exactly. Not searching for 300 ponies :eek: but that sounds like a hoot!!!
I ran a 500cfm Edelbrock 4bbl on this thing, desmogged it, high compression pistons, Comp cam, TFI ignition, and a Clifford intake. It was a screamer....:D

I ran a 500cfm Edelbrock 4bbl on this thing, desmogged it, high compression pistons, Comp cam, TFI ignition, and a Clifford intake. It was a screamer....:D

I bet it was!!!! :notworthy:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks