Engine cranks. No start. No spark, no fuel on a 1989 ford probe any suggestions

Engine cranks. No start. No spark, no fuel on a 1989 ford probe any suggestions

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
Hey, I wanted to ask everyone on this forum since I know you all are very mechanically inclined!!

My brother is having issues with a no start on his 1989 Ford Probe GL (not GT)

We fully charged the battery. It cranks normal. Pulled distributor cap, looked okay, cleaned rotor and cap reinstalled. Rotor spins when cranking engine.
The ohms of the ignition coil are within specs.
There is power to the igntion coil.
Checked most relays and fuses (all good).
No trouble codes on CE light.
Do not hear fuel pump come on when key on

When cranking the engine, the man shift light illuminates and flashes.

Some ideas of what it is:
Bad Ecm,
Faulty Crank Shaft Position Sensor (Where is cps if probe has one? Is it located in Distributor or ontransmission?)
A bad relay ( which one to check?)
Or bad ignition module? ( where is it? In dizzy?)
:dunno:

Let's start with one thing at a time. You say you don't hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on? Did you check the fuel pump inertia switch? Usually a red button near the passenger side kick panel, but could be in the trunk near the gas fill tube, possibly in the glove box. If the button is popped out, just push it back in again. Then cycle the key on for about 10 seconds then off. Do this several times to prime the fuel system. If you don't, you could wear the battery dead cranking before fuel reaches the engine.

Also, you can, with the key on, depress the schrader valve and see if fuel squirts out. If it does, clean up the spilled fuel before cranking the engine and wait until all remaining fuel evaporates before trying to start the engine.

Let's start with one thing at a time. You say you don't hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on? Did you check the fuel pump inertia switch? Usually a red button near the passenger side kick panel, but could be in the trunk near the gas fill tube, possibly in the glove box. If the button is popped out, just push it back in again. Then cycle the key on for about 10 seconds then off. Do this several times to prime the fuel system. If you don't, you could wear the battery dead cranking before fuel reaches the engine.

Also, you can, with the key on, depress the schrader valve and see if fuel squirts out. If it does, clean up the spilled fuel before cranking the engine and wait until all remaining fuel evaporates before trying to start the engine.

Hey Bass,
Yes, forgot to mention that we checked the inertia switch. He even by.passed the switch by twisting the two wires together if see if it was faulty. No luck.
When I checked to see if the pump came on, I popped open the gas cap and didn't hear anything in the tank. Did hear the antenna motor so he pulled the fuse for the antenna but didn't hear anything in/around the tank nor anything under the vehicle.
But would no fuel cause no spark? Also, no check engine light codes.

Is there a way to test the ecm to see if its faulty?
How about the distributor? Does the 89 probe have a crankshaft position sensor in the distributor? Could that be the issue?

Thanks for your help! :D

I looked up (again) on the internet other people going through the the same thing. Found information on a Mazda forum. According to one person he had the same issues of no spark no fuel, and finally was able to figure out that it was faulty tachometer wiring.
We will check my brother's car to see if it the same issue.

So we're going to go ahead and look for it where his the VSSis located and see if its the sensor relay or wiring. Will double check the relay too.

I want to mention that his ford probe year came stock with a Mazda MX6 engine. Just in case if that helps.

Did you turn the key on and depress the Schrader valve on the fuel rail to check for fuel flow?
So you have the Mazda engine?

Did you turn the key on and depress the Schrader valve on the fuel rail to check for fuel flow?
So you have the Mazda engine?

His car doesn't have a Schrader valve. It does have a nut on the end of the fuel rail. We just took the fuel hose off and cranked over the engine. No fuel came out. :(
Yes he has the mazda 4cyl auto Mazda MX6 in his ford probe.
Also we were going to test the tach sender but don't know how. He just got a thick service manual and will check it out. But if you know how to test it let me know.
Thanks.

I know on some cars, Fords in particular, that no fuel WILL mean no spark. I have an 01 Expedition that wouldn't fire on starting fluid and found out it was the in tank pump.

I know on some cars, Fords in particular, that no fuel WILL mean no spark. I have an 01 Expedition that wouldn't fire on starting fluid and found out it was the in tank pump.

Thanks for your reply. ;)
Its been awhile sorry it took me a long time to respond. :(
We still haven't figured it out. He bought a new ecu (no change) he also bought a another brain (can't recall what it was for) no change.
The trouble code is TPS but he checked the ohms and the throttle position sensor is within specs.
Any other ideas???:chug:

Thanks for your reply. ;)
Its been awhile sorry it took me a long time to respond. :(
We still haven't figured it out. He bought a new ecu (no change) he also bought a another brain (can't recall what it was for) no change.
The trouble code is TPS but he checked the ohms and the throttle position sensor is within specs.
Any other ideas???:chug:

You need to somehow confirm that it's getting fuel out of the tank, I don't think I've read where that's been confirmed. If these Ford's don't get fuel, it seems they will error about everything except the problem.

Okay... So we finally figures out the issue... quite simple actually but a pain to figure out.

It ended up being a faulty engine fuse wiring connection at the fuse panel/block. If he giggled the fuse at times it word start and sometimes it wouldnt.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Thank God we didn't have it towed to a stealership. :chug:

Okay... So we finally figures out the issue... quite simple actually but a pain to figure out.

It ended up being a faulty engine fuse wiring connection at the fuse panel/block. If he giggled the fuse at times it word start and sometimes it wouldnt.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Thank God we didn't have it towed to a stealership. :chug:

Great place

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks