engine keeps dying!!!

engine keeps dying!!!

mrdjc99

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 258 I6, 4 speed with OD
My 85' CJ7 keeps cutting off on me. It wont die when I start it but seems to die after a couple minutes of driving. On while coasting in neutral. No sputtering of shaking but the smoothest cut off ever. Most of the time I don't even know it died until I'm trying to speed up or turn. I've read it probably just the Damn carb but wanted to see exactly what you all think after reading the symptoms. Before I dropped the tank and replaced some of those rotten hoses. Could be possible dirt got in somewhere. It'll run forever as long as I'm hitting the gas and in gear it seems. Thanks!

carb seems like a good place to start. You say you have cleaned out the tank and replaced fuel lines?? Does this include the replacement of the fuel tank strainer??

Get a can of B-12 and clean out the carb, as much as you can, stick it in the bowl vent, and check for vacuum leaks. see if that helps. Wear glasses/goggles that stuff goes every where.

Are you up to a carb rebuild?? If you have no vacuum leaks and the spray cleaner helps some, the next logical step is soak,clean and put a kit in it.

It could be something as simple as the float level.

My 85' CJ7 keeps cutting off on me. It wont die when I start it but seems to die after a couple minutes of driving. On while coasting in neutral. No sputtering of shaking but the smoothest cut off ever. Most of the time I don't even know it died until I'm trying to speed up or turn. I've read it probably just the Damn carb but wanted to see exactly what you all think after reading the symptoms. Before I dropped the tank and replaced some of those rotten hoses. Could be possible dirt got in somewhere. It'll run forever as long as I'm hitting the gas and in gear it seems. Thanks!

When I had that same problem it was the plastic clip on top of the coil. What I did to fix it was pull the wires out of that plactic clip and throw the clip away changed the coil to a msd that has threads put new ends on the wires where they fit over the studs and then screwed a nut down tight and have never had it do it again.

I had this same problem, blew the seam out of the muffler when it re lit.:eek::eek::eek:
Darned near soiled my linen!:eek:

When I had that same problem it was the plastic clip on top of the coil. What I did to fix it was pull the wires out of that plactic clip and throw the clip away changed the coil to a msd that has threads put new ends on the wires where they fit over the studs and then screwed a nut down tight and have never had it do it again.

Got any pics I can go by on what to do. I'm pretty car illiterate unless I have detailed instructions.

Best thing to do is diagnose why the vehicle is dying.

It could be fuel or ignition from what you are describing.

If it will stay running if you keep your foot on the gas I would have to say its not a fuel problem but possibly your idle is too low.

What happens when you restart?

Id go buy a 20 dollar fuel pressure gauge at the parts store and see what happens when it dies. Or let it die, then pull the air cleaner and watch what happens when you depress the throttle. If you don't see fuel shoot out, you can assume that you've ran out of fuel.

I have a similar problem on my 79 CJ7 (6 cylinder). At first, I thought it was an idle problem too but the weird thing is that often seems over idled (almost embarrassing sitting at a light with the motor going high). To add to that, every now and then, I'll have starting issues where it cranks but doesn't fire. Which makes me think it's an ignition issue overall. If it is an ignition issue, is the coil the place to start?

If you have a situation where it is idling high, first thing you want to do is check the idle adjustment. I'd also look for vacuum leaks.

A vacuum leak could easily cause a high idle and a difficult cold start situation as the engine wants LESS air to start when cold, not more.

With the issues you are describing, I would not look at the ignition system.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom