Engine Missing

Engine Missing
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2009 Ford Fusion
After added Marvel's Mystery Oil to fuel I took the Jeep for a ride around the town. When I started to drive up hill, the engine started sputtering and then died. It took a couple tries but the engine finally cranked over but with the pedal to the floor the engine sounded like it was missing. Finally after about 30 seconds the engine was running fine and I didn't have to keep my foot on the pedal. I started to head home and upon driving up another hill it did it died again. I ended up rebuilding the carburetor, changing spark plugs and spark plug wires. Drove it today and it was running great until about 5 minutes of driving, I decided to drive it up hill and it crapped out again. I'm wondering if the Marvel's loosened up some stuff in the gas tank or something. :confused:

maybe you put to much marvels in there for the amount of gas that was in the tank try topping off the tank and adding some octane booster. another possibility is that it clogged up the fuel filter, a clogged filter will make it act just as you described aslo

maybe you put to much marvels in there for the amount of gas that was in the tank try topping off the tank and adding some octane booster. another possibility is that it clogged up the fuel filter, a clogged filter will make it act just as you described aslo
Yeah, I was thinking that the filter was clogged. I'll go pick one up. Thanks for the input.

I doubt it pulled up any :dung: from the tank, but it may have loostened up some crud in the valve trane or cumbustion chambers. Top off the tank with good fuel, and just drive it. If It still seems off, pull the plugs and see If there is any chunkage stuck to the electrodes causing a dead plug. I'n willing to bet that It'll work itself out in fairly short order though.

I doubt it pulled up any :dung: from the tank, but it may have loostened up some crud in the valve trane or cumbustion chambers. Top off the tank with good fuel, and just drive it. If It still seems off, pull the plugs and see If there is any chunkage stuck to the electrodes causing a dead plug. I'n willing to bet that It'll work itself out in fairly short order though.
O.K. I'll do that. Thank you.

do not add the octane booster, octane is the ability for a fuel not to detonate, kinda hard to explain in a short post how it helps, but right now you do not need a high octane fuel, instead you need a more pure fuel.
EMpty that tank and put in pure gasoline. If the problem still happens it is not a fuel issue, but a delivery problem.
oh and check that filter

do not add the octane booster, octane is the ability for a fuel not to detonate, kinda hard to explain in a short post how it helps, but right now you do not need a high octane fuel, instead you need a more pure fuel.
EMpty that tank and put in pure gasoline. If the problem still happens it is not a fuel issue, but a delivery problem.
oh and check that filter
What's the easiest way to empty a tank?

my first guess would be if you added oil to the fuel and the oil to fuel ratio was to high you probably simply fouled a plug or two just like messing up the mix in a two stroke just a thought

there isn't one. :laugh:
do it right the first time and you only do it once. drop the tank pull the sending unit/pick up tube/fuel strainer and dump the tank. take it to the car wash and clean it. yea I know "put water in the tank". blow dry it with compressed air or your shop vac, look at it and see how much rust you have, make a judgment call. then do everything you just did only backwards.
2nd choice; do a half way job drive to within 5 miles of the geographic middle of no place and half way up a long steep hill and have a flame out.
If you think going up is exciting wait till you get to come down backwards with no power. You don't have power brakes or steering do you??:eek:

What's the easiest way to empty a tank?

marvel claims

cut and paste

ADDED TO GAS OR DIESEL
product_mysteryoil.png
• Marvel Mystery Oil® lubricates the entire fuel system-fuel pumps, fuel injectors or carburetors and the top portion of the cylinders. These are areas, that by design, motor oil does not reach. Using Marvel Mystery Oil in your fuel extends the life of these vital components by providing them with lubrication that fuel alone does not provide.
• Marvel reduces and prevents varnish and gum build-up, two key contributors to robbing engine performance. When you shut off your engine, a miniscule drop of fuel is left at the tip of the fuel injectors or carburetor jets. This miniscule drop off of fuel then solidifies into a varnish type residue. Over time, the accumulated varnish blocks the openings of the injectors or jets, contributing to lower performance and fuel economy and shorter life of these components.
• Spark plug life is also extended by using Marvel in your fuel. It creates a cleaner burning cylinder environment that reduces carbon build-up on spark plugs resulting in better firing plugs that increase performance and durability.
• In addition, Marvel Mystery Oil® improves fuel mileage by reducing internal friction in the engine.
• Marvel should be used in the fuel at every fill-up. Use 4 ounces for every 10 gallons of fuel.

ok how much did you use?

Last edited:
my first guess would be if you added oil to the fuel and the oil to fuel ratio was to high you probably simply fouled a plug or two just like messing up the mix in a two stroke just a thought
i'm with cjnewbie on this one. you can add marvel mystery oil to gas but if he added a whole bottle to lets say a 1/4 then it would throw the mix out of whack. but a fuel filter is an easy cheap fix to try. Bajaedition instead of adding octane booster do you think it would be a good idea for him to top off the tank and add a fuel stabilizer like Stabil or Heet?

• Marvel should be used in the fuel at every fill-up. Use 4 ounces for every 10 gallons of fuel.

there isn't one. :laugh:
do it right the first time and you only do it once. drop the tank pull the sending unit/pick up tube/fuel strainer and dump the tank. take it to the car wash and clean it. yea I know "put water in the tank". blow dry it with compressed air or your shop vac, look at it and see how much rust you have, make a judgment call. then do everything you just did only backwards.
2nd choice; do a half way job drive to within 5 miles of the geographic middle of no place and half way up a long steep hill and have a flame out.
If you think going up is exciting wait till you get to come down backwards with no power. You don't have power brakes or steering do you??:eek:
Yeah I have power brakes and power steering. I've already made this "exciting" trip up a couple of hills.

i think we might have failed to ask one important question: how much fuel was in the tank when you put in the marvels? oh and if theres alot of rust in the tank and it got picked up it will show in the fuel filter when you take it off.
I added the marvels at the gas station when I filled it up

i'm with cjnewbie on this one. you can add marvel mystery oil to gas but if he added a whole bottle to lets say a 1/4 then it would throw the mix out of whack. but a fuel filter is an easy cheap fix to try. Bajaedition instead of adding octane booster do you think it would be a good idea for him to top off the tank and add a fuel stabilizer like Stabil or Heet?

I added around 5 ounces.

If you have :dung: in the tank, you can't fix it by putting more :dung: in the tank.:laugh:
Now! into the realm of opinion. IMHO marvel mystery oil is a wonderful product that has been around as long as I can remember. I use it myself, religiously, in all my air tools. As far as putting it in your gas tank I think a pint of Diesel would have done you as much good. Marvel oil is by far my favorite snake oil and the whole "top oil" concept is much more believable than something like the magnet you mount on the fuel line to increase millage by 30% .
My personal "cleaning additive" of choice is called B-12 chem tool, It will dissolve varnish from the carb and or injectors and does in fact burn when it hits the cylinders. This can be purchased in aerosol cans and one pint liquid to pour in the tank.
In the event that the fuel pick up is clogged with :dung: I don't think any additive will work as well as pulling it out and cleaning it.
Oh great and Wise Jeep Shaman of the west:notworthy: The new avatar is the bomb.:chug:

Sanchez; My apologies, I think we are getting away from what we should be talking about. I don't believe the Marvel had much to do with anything, as far as I know it has no "solvent " quality at all so I don't see it "knocking anything loose" in the tank. If there is something in the tank it started to move on it's own.
I am sure you have gone over this but what drive train do you have? Auto/ standard, carb/EFI, V8/l6, etc? This only happens when you go uphill??:wtf:

Sanchez; My apologies, I think we are getting away from what we should be talking about. I don't believe the Marvel had much to do with anything, as far as I know it has no "solvent " quality at all so I don't see it "knocking anything loose" in the tank. If there is something in the tank it started to move on it's own.
I am sure you have gone over this but what drive train do you have? Auto/ standard, carb/EFI, V8/l6, etc? This only happens when you go uphill??:wtf:
I have a 4 cyl. Iron Duke with a Rochester Varajet II E2SE carb. I'm still trying to find out what brand of standard Transmission I have. It's a 5 speed. I have a Dana 300 Transfer Case .

When I started to drive up hill, the engine started sputtering and then died. It took a couple tries but the engine finally cranked over but with the pedal to the floor the engine sounded like it was missing. Finally after about 30 seconds the engine was running fine and I didn't have to keep my foot on the pedal. I started to head home and upon driving up another hill it did it died again.

Sanchez; This only happens when you go uphill??:wtf:

This is starting to sound like a fuel filter or maybe a float out of adj.
Does it act like it's running out of gas, or is it flooding out?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom