Exhaust Smell Question

Exhaust Smell Question

Rytek

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7
Hi, Newbie to the forum. Well, it took me 15yrs, but I finally bought another CJ7. This time, I went with a 1986 Renegade. It's in great shape, the guy I bought it from has had 18 Jeeps and fixes them up, then sells em. The motor was rid of all the non essential emissions hoses, wires, etc. A new Weber 32/36 Carb replaced the original Carter Carb and a new exhaust system was put in without a catalytic converter. When I tested the Jeep, the top was off and didn't notice the exhaust fumes. With the top on the exhaust is horrible(smell wise) and you can smell it miles away.
My questions -
1) Is the new weber carb running to rich? She does idle at a high rpm.
2) Do I need to put a catalytic converter back on to reduce the smell? If I do, suggestions on type?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Right now, in its current state, my kids and wife don't want to ride in it. It's more fun with them than going solo all the time.
Thanks

If it were me I'd put the catalytic converter back on. They are fairly innocuous and serve a purpose. The next thing is, where does the exhaust exit ... under the doors, out the rear, behind a rear tire?

Jeeps are notorious for drawing exhaust fumes into the cab area if the exhaust exits anywhere other than behind a rear tire or at the rear corner.

Depending on what the exhaust smells like or the actual color of the smoke you could be having any number of problems.

To check fuel burn I would suggest inspecting a few spark plugs for a clean deposit. If they do appear to be a bit on the dark side there are a few ways you can lean it out. I would think if you drive with the back window open, have the windows down or the doors off to get a cleaner flow.

all the above and make sure you do not have any openings in the floor/firewall for fumes to enter the Jeep thru. Also a turn down on the exhaust tip will help point the exhaust to the ground :chug:

Welcome :chug:. Ditto on the exit location on the exhaust, needs to be ran out to the rear to not be a factor in the cab.

"The rear" could be misleading. Not exactly the rear, but the behind the rear wheel towards the corner where the air is rushing about. My CJ had the exhaust exiting straight to the rear with pretty chrome square tips, it did sound great, but the relatively still air behind the tailgate and in the cab sucked the exhaust in and held it there. It felt like death to drive the thing.

:ww:
"Read" your plugs for burn ratio.
Spark Plug Fouling

Yes to most likely 'rich' burn.
I agree on the rear exhaust exit.
LG

:agree:

...one last comment... The best exhaust exit position is 45deg down and 45deg out - centered behind the rear wheel.

The draft of the rear tire and the subsequent swirl in and out of the fender well dissipates those fumes and keeps them from entering the cabin area of the Jeep.

I figured it out. The timing was way off. I fixed that and put in high test and it seems to have gotten much better.

Next issue - Steering......

:agree:

...one last comment... The best exhaust exit position is 45deg down and 45deg out - centered behind the rear wheel.

The draft of the rear tire and the subsequent swirl in and out of the fender well dissipates those fumes and keeps them from entering the cabin area of the Jeep.

Any pics??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here ya go...

2b6974dc1a45714ad18d36b16b7728f7.jpg

Thanks. That really helps. I added a small extension to my rear exiting exhaust and it made it worse!

Not as long as you keep it up and over. I'll try to get a picture of the bend there.

c5246f08c7ad6dff62ad6d46ae369bcb.jpg

There's a little rub on the hanger. I need to cut the hanger.

Like I wrote early on, directly out the back is bad, almost the worst place to exit the exhaust. My CJ was set up that way, I know from what I speak. I ended up cutting the pipe back and adding an elbow to push it out the corner behind the tire. Never have exhaust issues now.

You will never completely depress your springs flat, so if you keep your pipe up near the frame every thing will be fine.

Thanks everyone. I purchased a couple of 45* and have cut off my tailpipe. Will be welding in new pieces to exit near rear tire. I'll be sure to keep it close to frame rail. Thanks for the advice! I'll send pics

Welding them on is a good thing, but I just used muffler clamps on mine. If for no other reason the clamp will allow you to adjust the pipe to the best angle. Granted there is a huge amount of wiggle room for positive results.

:agree: Also makes it easy to fix/replace IF they get damaged.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks