Favorite Off-Road tire (ever)?

Favorite Off-Road tire (ever)?

CJ

Admin
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30
'82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30
Since I have been looking around for a new set of rubber for my Jeep my mind wandered for a bit and I started to think about all the different treads I have had on my CJ5 over the years.

I began to wonder (old mind :D) - what would I consider the best tire I have ever had on my Jeep?

After much deliberation... I have to say - Desert Dog X-Tra, anyone remember them? They worked great in the sand and the mud. Floated when they needed to and self cleaned pretty well (as long as you kept the tire speed up).

They actually had big X's in the tread. Interesting tire to say the least. I had them on some American Racing wheels magnesium 10x15's. I still have those rims! Only four left out of the original five though. I bent the heck out of one many, many years ago and never replace it. Too bad.

So - what is / was your favorite tire?

All around favorite was the A BAD WORD Cepek Radial XC (33x12.50x15). Not much of a mud tread but worked well for near everything else. Favorite single purpose tires were my paddle tires for the dunes...had them front and rear with the rears being considerably larger and with much stiffer paddles.:)

All around favorite was the **** Cepek Radial XC (33x12.50x15). Not much of a mud tread but worked well for near everything else. Favorite single purpose tires were my paddle tires for the dunes...had them front and rear with the rears being considerably larger and with much stiffer paddles.:)

I guess Mister Cepek prefers to go by the name of Richard.:rolleyes:
LOL - I think I need to check the censor option... :) Fixed...

I ran BFG mud terrains on my CJ and had such good luck with them that I bought the same tire for my TJ. I had about 45,000 on the CJ and those tires looked brand new still. They were awesome in all situations that I put them in and I figured that same tire with front and rear lockers has to be hard to beat. I was right. I will definately do the same tire next time.

For a short time I ran BFG Mud Terrains on my Toyota, switched to Goodyear MTR and loved those tires. Snow, mud, rocks and as daily driver tires they gripped and wore great. They had a much smoother ride than the BFGs. Only drawback was the 3 ply sidewall, never tore one but I always had a spare.

for my superduty i have been running the toyo mt's now for 55k miles and love them

as for a muddy tire i would say its between boggers and gound hawg's

I still like the old school Ground Hawgs, but they were not the greatest wet pavement tire, or highway wither. The TSL Boggers are nice too but with the same limitations. I suppose for all around I like the BFG A/T. I would like to try some KM2's but they are too pricey.

i have been heaing alot about pitbulls on xstreme 4x4.

I used to have a set of MT sidebiters on a 2wd truck. Almost got me out of anything I could get the truck into.
Now I prefer the Swampers that are on my CJ now. Mainly because they were on it and brand new when I bought the Jeep. :)

Heard alot of good things about the Richard:D Cepek Fun country II's. They seem to be the tire of choice around here for rigs that see a lot of highway miles, but also go crazy off road.

I ran boggers, Iroks, procomp xterrians, BFG KM/TA, and TSLs.

for offroad only: 1. 33inch TSLs
for offroad/and road: 1. 33 and 35inch BFG KM

I hated the boggers/iroks and xterrians, they were a bunch of wasted money on me. (ONLY because my drivetrain and motor was too weak for those tires) the tires themselves are awesome if you got the juice to spin/steer them correctly.

your profile says you are a first time Jeeper. Welcome to the Jeep world :)
What rig did you run the boggers/TSLs on? what engine/drivetrain?

I've had good luck with everything Maxxis for both street and off-road applications. I don't know about hardcore use, but for light trail use I think they're worth looking into.

I agree with ramblex1, I have a used set of Maxxus Buckshot 33x12.5x15's and so far I have had good luck with them. I bought them with 1/2 tread life left and ran them from July 2008 to present and they still have good life left.

No complaints in the mud, sand or rocks.

On the other hand I have two buddies that both bough the BFg MTR II's and sware by them, nice tire but pricy.

Dave:chug:

Well I have to say after 3 years I like my Mickey Thompson MTZ's they work as well as BFG's in the mud, do well in the sand, and also do well in the rocks. The sidewalls take a beating (bent a steel wheel) tire still good.
They are also a very good highway tire, not much noise and handle well.

That is news to my ears. I ve had the most sucsess with Bfgs , but want to check out the Mtzs when I go to 35s. Voting wise I have to take the Bfg Muds for best overall.
Well I have to say after 3 years I like my Mickey Thompson MTZ's they work as well as BFG's in the mud, do well in the sand, and also do well in the rocks. The sidewalls take a beating (bent a steel wheel) tire still good.
They are also a very good highway tire, not much noise and handle well.

I would have to say that the old "Gumbo Monster Mudder" was the best mud tire I have ever run. Maxxis (buckshot) has a tire that is close to that design but has the broken center lug pattern. The old Gumbo (gateway) tire had a soild center z pattern and paddle style side lugs that lasted a good long while for such an aggresive tread. They were basis ply but run good for me. Also they were 38".

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks