Engine Feedback on Fuel Tank replacement?

Engine Feedback on Fuel Tank replacement?

MattandOrange

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ-7, 258
Hey from CA! I went to smog my CJ7 with a 4.2 w/4.0 head & TBI. My numbers were super low but failed EVAP. When idling, I noticed that there was a drip of fuel from the bottom of the fuel tank cover/skid plate. It ceased when off. I dropped the tank and found a mighty crack.

Any advice on replacements? I don't care for an oversized tank. I was thinking of this.

HOLLEY SNIPER EFI - STOCK REPLACEMENT FUEL TANK - CJ JEEP - JP1C

IMG_0438.jpegIMG_0439.jpeg

I went with the MTS poly tank and have had no issues

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

I got the Holley tank and EFI in tank pump and no problems with Installation. Have not fired it up yet though so can't give a report on that.

I have the 21gal poly tank from MTS and I cut a hole in the top for a Holley Retrofit in-tank pump for my Sniper EFI. Works great.

I cut another hole in the top because I got tired of the janky Crown/Omix fuel gauge senders breaking on me and I bought a float-less sending unit from Tanks Inc. Works flawlessly. Had to cut another hole because the original sending unit hole is too big. I cut the guts out of the original sending unit so there isn't a bunch of useless stuff inside the tank.

The tank in your pic is a 20 gal poly tank. It was an option for the CJ. The tank your looking into is a 15 gal. Stock replacement, you will need to replace the skid plate, tank straps and probably do some replumbing too. I would just replace your poly tank with another from MTS.

I am in process of converting to EFI and have the Sniper tank along with the in tank pump for the CJ. The tank isn't any different than the stock 15 gal. No return line fittings, however it is galvanized and painted.

The tank in your pic is a 20 gal poly tank. It was an option for the CJ. The tank your looking into is a 15 gal. Stock replacement, you will need to replace the skid plate, tank straps and probably do some replumbing too. I would just replace your poly tank with from MTS.
Ok looks like the MTS poly tank isn't a direct replacement for the old 20 gal poly tank. So you will have to replace the shield no matter which tank you choose.
I guess it comes down to how much fuel you want to carry.. If you choose the 15 gal tank stay away from Crown or Omix sending units, they aren't reliable.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks