Fiberglass body repair

Fiberglass body repair

CoreyYoungCj577

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj7 232 inline 6,Dana 20 Tc,T-150 Trans, stock diffs.
So after a long talk with CJ i decided that im going to keep my fiberglass body, im going to have reset the firewall and repair all the heating, which i figure wont be hard.

Just to broaden everyones horizons when they read my post so they know actually what im working with. My 77 CJ7 sat for 10 years and was in a wreck it got hit on the right side and bent the front bumper,shattered the right fender and a little part on the cowl, along with seperating the firewall and also took out a little part located by the firewall. Since the firewall seperated it cracked most of the heating parts down there so thats what im working with.

But i was going to repair it myself not now at a later time just need to know where i can find a fiberglass repair kit.

Thanks,Corey

You can get a small starter kit at Wal-mart. Has everything you need in one package. But I'd recommend getting a few other items to go with it:
)Package of latex gloves
)Electric dual action sander with 80, 120 and 250 grit pads. Try and find one that has the Velcro pad for easy pad changes. Mine has an attachment that hooks to the shop vac to keep the area cleaner.
)Package of Popsicle sticks. Used for stirring and moving the FG as you wet it.

Hey Corey...

I really appreciated our chat last evening! What a refreshing time it was for myself! You are in the exact same situation I was 30 years ago except for one thing... You now have 30 years of experience to get help from now - I did not! :)

Guys and Galls... If I'm understanding our (Coreys and mine) situation, were going to get this Jeep running - then figure out what we have to do....

Woo hoo! Another CJ7 coming up!

You can get a small starter kit at Wal-mart. Has everything you need in one package. But I'd recommend getting a few other items to go with it:
)Package of latex gloves
)Electric dual action sander with 80, 120 and 250 grit pads. Try and find one that has the Velcro pad for easy pad changes. Mine has an attachment that hooks to the shop vac to keep the area cleaner.
)Package of Popsicle sticks. Used for stirring and moving the FG as you wet it.

The kits sold at Wal-mart and most auto parts stores are a polyester based resin and not the greatest for bonding. They bond great for small repairs but I don't know if I'd want to repair a fire-wall with it.
To repair a fire-wall on a fiberglass tub I think I would use a epoxy resin kit. You can get it at most boat stores.

I really got to remember to check the chat room once in a while...:(

eBay Store - Epoxy Resin Adhesive Coating Laminating UV Curing: Glue, Coating, Clear Resin
looks like quality products with some instructions.
a little research will go a long way on a fiberglass project.
check out carbon fiber and "vacuum bagging" .
If it was just cosmetic I would say you could daub it on but re attaching the fire wall may require a bit of fineness to ensure that the brake peddle and steering column are where you want then when you want them. The best time to do resin is when it is warm, when it's cold it takes forever to cure so you have two or three months to get control of the drive line.:cool:
This would be a cool time to find a way to frame mount the roll bar too. I can't wait to see how this turns out!! :lpopcorn:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom