fiberglass ground problems

fiberglass ground problems

jamie

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76 cj 5 360, 999 tranny and dana 300 transfer case, dana 44 rear and dana 30 front diff
when i step on my brakes, the headlights and parking lights come on. im trying to figure out what the po did, but i need to know how the lights ground. do they all ground to the body. also, the high beam is out on the drivers side. when i put the good headlight in, it still dosent work. any ideas?:censored:

All of the electric circuits need to get back to the battery. If you have a fiberglass tub you will need to ground to the frame. Make sure that all grounds are going to the frame or the battery, even the wiring on the dash needs run to ground. If you have the steel dash you can run a wire from one corner to a ground point. I hope this helps.

yup, it has a steel dash, which is grounded. the gauge lights all work, turn signals ect all work. where are the tail lights grounded, to the body?

everything has to be grounded to the frame, or with a seperate wire to a ground terminal from the neg. side of the battery.

i know the front turn signals ground through the grill, but do the running lights on the fenders get grounded, or are they grounded through the turn signal circuit? also, where do the headlights ground?

All of the electric circuits need to get back to the battery. If you have a fiberglass tub you will need to ground to the frame. Make sure that all grounds are going to the frame or the battery, even the wiring on the dash needs run to ground. If you have the steel dash you can run a wire from one corner to a ground point. I hope this helps.

everything has to be grounded to the frame, or with a seperate wire to a ground terminal from the neg. side of the battery.

Fiberglass will not carry a current, so nothing can be grounded to the body.
I added a ground wire to my harness going to the front lights and the rear lights,
it gets grounded to my ground terminal.

Last edited:
ok. ill try that. grounding the head lights to the battery post, as i have an empty pig tail on the negative battery terminal. thats a job for tomorrow:chug:

i got it all figured out. i had to ground the grill to the frame, and the motor to the frame. i grounded the headlights to the battery. then when i stepped on the brakes, only the running lights came on. so i chased some wires and found out the front turn signals were run off the same wire as the rear signals. i found the correct wires and made everything correct. :chug: thanks to all my jeep brethren for all the help

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom