firing order

firing order

reptile610

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7: 151cu iron duke/ sr-4 trans/ dana 300/ dana 30 front amc 20 rear 3.73 gears.
so i pulled the cap off of and in a rush forgot to mark them. i heard it's 1,3,4,2 but how do i hook them up for the cap. diagrams plz? :)

Whichever one goes directly over your rotor wound be #1. Pull the plug on the first cylinder and turn the motor till you get to TDC. You can stick a flat screwdriver in there and when the piston hits it you'll be at TDC. Your rotor will then be "pointing at the #1 cylinder. Does that make sense to you? :)

Whichever one goes directly over your rotor wound be #1. Pull the plug on the first cylinder and turn the motor till you get to TDC. You can stick a flat screwdriver in there and when the piston hits it you'll be at TDC. Your rotor will then be "pointing at the #1 cylinder. Does that make sense to you? :)

Yes but I didn't pull the entire distributor
Just the cap n unhooked all the wires

The rotor should be pointing to #1. A quick look in my hayne catalog has the number 1 on the cap located in the back ( toward the firewall ) and close to the block as opposed to the fender. We"re talking a GM 151 right?

Thats a method to determine where the #1 plug wire goes on the cap. You need to get the engine up to top dead center, then place the #1 plug wire where the rotor is pointing.

You can take a chance and just put the timing marks at 0* on the pointer/balancer. Try and put the #1 plug wire on the cap where the rotor is pointing. You've got a 50/50 chance.

EDIt; just line up the timing marks and when the rotor is pointing to the back instead of the front, there's you're number 1.

The rotor should be pointing to #1. A quick look in my hayne catalog has the number 1 on the cap located in the back ( toward the firewall ) and close to the block as opposed to the fender. We"re talking a GM 151 right?

Yes it's a GM 151 . I have read the order is 1342 and to go clock wise with #1 being the one closest to the engine

Thats the correct order and that position is what shows in my manual. Closest to the engine and the number 4 cylinder. :chug:

Yes it's a GM 151 . I have read the order is 1342 and to go clock wise with #1 being the one closest to the engine

well i finally have spark. it's just misfiring from not having the distributor firing order set.

Should be gm iron duke firing order....1,3,4,2
45f4a610-e908-8287.jpg
this is what im looking for. i just tried this and it didn't work. would having a SBC HEI distributor have anything to do with it?

just for my own curiosity, if you look at the top of the cap is there a little 1 marked near one of the wire towers? If so give that a try as #1 if it is different from what you are on now. If the distributor has never been out than this should work. seems as just about every motor I have ever worked on had the firing order cast into the intake manifold, does yours??:cool:

With what I see the arrow should be the front of the motor.# 4 should be # 1. your 180 degrees out of time.
this is what im looking for. i just tried this and it didn't work. would having a SBC HEI distributor have anything to do with it?

i just tried this one. apparently in michigan you can use your drivers license # and get a web copy of chiltons. which i just learned and is sweet! it had 2 other firing orders, one which made it backfire and the other made it blow :dung: out of the carb. this one made it seem to start for a second but now it's just cranking over and not starting.

Just move number one to a different position. You'll find it.

Four different combinations. Till you decide trying other firing orders out of desperation. I'd stick with a chiltons description, myself.

would having a SBC HEI distributor have anything to do with it?
Is sbc short for small-block chevy dizzy? not sure that would fit a 4 cyl, or even function correctly.

Did you originally pull the cap off because of ignition issues? What was done/ did you replace the rotor, cap,etc...?

My Haynes manual has # 1 where your illistration has # 4. :confused: Id just go with the method of bringing it to TDC and going of the rotor.

i just tried this one. apparently in michigan you can use your drivers license # and get a web copy of chiltons. which i just learned and is sweet! it had 2 other firing orders, one which made it backfire and the other made it blow :dung: out of the carb. this one made it seem to start for a second but now it's just cranking over and not starting.

My Haynes manual has # 1 where your illistration has # 4. :confused: Id just go with the method of bringing it to TDC and going of the rotor.

Do u have a scanner u can upload it from? I'm going to try the tdc thing today or tmrw

No that I dont. Best way I can tell you is on the illistration from Pelton 54 number #4 is #1. It would be the position on the cap closest to the #4 cylinder ( rear of the motor closest to the firewall ). The TDC way will garauntee its correct.

No that I dont. Best way I can tell you is on the illistration from Pelton 54 number #4 is #1. It would be the position on the cap closest to the #4 cylinder ( rear of the motor closest to the firewall ). The TDC way will garauntee its correct.
i'll start tinkering in about an hour and keep you posted.

she lives!!!!!! after looking at the picture i linked i noticed they had the distributor spinning couterclockwise. i changed 2 of the wires to make it correct and it started right up =]=]=]=] you guys have no idea how happy i am now

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom