First post - Tranny question

First post - Tranny question

mudman979

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7 w/304 and T150/Dana 20
Hey Guys! Good to be part of a knowledgeable forum. I been reading around a bunch, but this is my inaugural post.

I have an 84' CJ7 with a AMC 304 , T-150 /Dana 20 , and 2.73 gears. I'm sure most of you out there know where this is going.... She is pretty sluggish off the start and low range leaves a little to be desired. I don't want to change my axle gearing because I do like being able to take it down the road/highway, which is where I'll be 80-90% of the time. I do go off road, but I'm not really a rock crawler. I just want to make it a little more user-friendly; right now, starting on hills requires major clutch feathering and a third leg. :)

The PO put the T-150 /Dana 20 in it after the T-5 bit the dust, and he did include everything that I would need to swap a T-5 back in, even a Dana 300 and a short throw shifter. My conundrum is this, I know that the T-5 is known to be weak and the T-150 is a very capable tranny. I really don't want to downgrade my components, but I do need to change something. The T-18 seems to be the choice of, well.... everyone, but they are also expensive and hard to find. I know there are a lot of options if you have the cash, but I am hoping for an economical solution.

What do you guys think? Is there another tranny that could use the parts that I already have and give me the starting gear that I need, or would I just be better off by changing my axle ratio?

I appreciate the help!

Ford T-18 with adapter for the Dana 20 . 4:1 granny low first will get you rolling up just about anything and it's a 1 ton truck tranny, bullet proof.
and you still keep the 1:1 final drive and 2.73 ratio in the axles.
check out Novak adapters for more details.:cool:

On the more economical side you may wanna look around for a T-176 Transmission . There a good solid Transmission that can handle your AMC 304 no problem. Bolt your Dana 300 to it grab the right driveshafts and you'll be alot happier. Sooner or later depending on what size tire your running ,you may want to re-gear.

Thanks for the replies!

My T-150 is supposed to have a 2.99:1 ratio in first gear and the T-176 is 3.52:1. Will that make a big enough difference? I can never transfer ratios to what it will actually feel like....and I have never driven a T-176 with such a tall axle ratio. I am only running 31's right now, I doubt I will go much bigger, but I'm sure plenty of guys have said that before. It is definitely appealing to use my Dana 300 with the next tranny because then I will have a second drivetrain setup available if something should break.
I have been searching for a T-18 , but they are definitely a well sought after item, that is why I had considered swapping in a T-5 (same 4:1 in 1st). What donor trucks should I look for in a junk yard for a T-18 ?

As you can tell, I am open to most anything that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Okay..... Update!
I have found a T-176 for a reasonable price ($AMC 150 ). The casting numbers match a T-176 (C-2604203), but there are a few other numbers that I don't know what they mean.... they are on a riveted tag; the first number is 359389, to the right of that number is RGAS8, and below that number is 1262.
Any ideas what they mean????? :confused:

Also, do you think the first gear ratio will be enough of a difference from my T-150 ?????

Thanks!

Did I stump you guys or has this already been discussed thoroughly?

If it is an old subject, please point me in the direction to find it. The search hasn't turned up anything.

Thanks.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom