Fuel Injection

Fuel Injection

81laredo

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7 Laredo as built, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1955 Thunderbird, 1958 Airstream, 1996 Tahoe 4X4, 1982 Newell Coach, 1957 Cabin in the Woods what will I work on next?
I bought an '81 CJ7 recently to replace my '59 CJ5 and have a few questions. The '81 has the in-line 6 with 4 speed and is as far as I can tell still a stock CJ7 Laredo . I want to replace the Carb with Fuel Injection, primarily to get rid of all the Vacuum Lines! (I m in California)
I have heard different thoughts regarding the Howell and Mopar Kits and there is a big price difference between these two. Whatever I buy has to meet California Smog Requirements.
I was at a Wrecking Yard yesterday and can get the parts of off a Cherokee but not sure if that would be the right way to do this. Anyone with good/bad experiences they want to share?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

no personal experience but it is doable there is a write for that to. i read it the other day it seems fairly easy but i can't find it right at the moment. i know you don't want the renix injection off of a cherokee from 1987 to 1990 or 1991 i think

I bought an '81 CJ7 recently to replace my '59 CJ5 and have a few questions. The '81 has the in-line 6 with 4 speed and is as far as I can tell still a stock CJ7 Laredo . I want to replace the Carb with Fuel Injection, primarily to get rid of all the Vacuum Lines! (I m in California)
I have heard different thoughts regarding the Howell and Mopar Kits and there is a big price difference between these two. Whatever I buy has to meet California Smog Requirements.
I was at a Wrecking Yard yesterday and can get the parts of off a Cherokee but not sure if that would be the right way to do this. Anyone with good/bad experiences they want to share?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Hi Steve how are ya doing? this looked like a cool idea. 4.2L Head Conversion - Putting a 4.0L head on a 4.2L block!! - Jeep at Off-Road.com here is another GM TBI Swap the one site that had the best write up is currently not operating so i think these may help you let me know :)

Thanks, I should find out how to tell the difference before I go looking. When you find that link I am sure that it would be helpful.
Thanks again,
Steve

Corey, thanks for the links!
I could use a link for the Cherokee Fuel Injection Swap if someone could help.
Thanks guys, great help!
Steve

affordable fuel injection
Affordable Fuel Injection - AMC/Jeep Throttle Body Fuel Injection

Grab a chevy throttlebody and computer from say a 90 with a similar size motor to yours.
a 4.3 for your AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l a 305 for a AMC 304 , etc.

With the throttlebody and computer you can pick up a chip and harness from AFI for about $300
and adapter to mount it on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is about $50.

So for under $500 you can have TBI.

Check my thread here for extra info's:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/useful-info-thought-id-share-665/

I was just reading a fuel injection article in the March issue of JP Magazine before I came to the computer to read your thread. Pick up this issue. They are saying great things about the Performance Products Powerjection III fuel injection system. (low price and easy to install) This system is intended for a 4 barrel manifold but it will work with your strait six. You will need an adapter or better yet get a new intake manifold from Clifford or one of the other after market companies.

check out this link:
Professional Products Online

I will pick up a copy, of the mag. Remember guys that it needs to be California Smog legal.
(I wish that I lived somewhere else)

JP Magazine also posts their articles online but not until everyone gets the printed version. They do have a little on their web site but not as much. I never did see anywhere if it is legal in California. One thing they say is it's "hard to believe it's so easy".
What JP Magazine does have on the internet is here:
Fuel-Infected! | Custom Jeep Projects Blog & Discussion at Jp Magazine
Here is another link:
Professional Products Powerjection III EFI System | Truckin' Magazine Article at Automotive.com

I don't know anything about the smog police, but Howell claims their's is cal. legal.

I've had Howell injection for about 10 years now.Its not to bad but you have to know it.They originally put a Mopar on when it came out but it was a real pain to dial in.So we went with the Howell and they do have a Ca. Legal chip.It uses a late 80s GM P/U style 2 bbl Throttle Body and computer.You might have to keep your emissions stuff on for Ca. I just have the EGR valve left and canister.I ran a fake hose to them for passing in Arizona.Sure got rid of a lot of :dung: under the hood. Howell is pretty good to work with also.
Mike
http://howellefi.com/customer/home.php
I don't know if a 81 had a smog pump or not.I got questioned on mine but told them I had one without a pump which I did.Emissions people out here are low paid by the book if they read it IDIOTS.

Last edited:
After the prior discussions I decided to make the Mopar Fuel Injection swap, after all the biggest problem would be handled by getting the Carb off the Jeep. The day started off alright, I was able to locate a Wrecking Yard with a '94 Cherokee. The Fuel Injection and Exhaust look to be still complete and the Wiring with Computer intact. They said $300.00 for the complete list of parts which seems good for a Mopar Fuel Injection.
My next call was to the CA Smog Referee...our system is broken!!! I cannot make an appointment until the vehicle has been modified but I can only discuss this until that time, with nothing in writing to go by.
I will have to keep you posted, it may be easier to do a complete engine swap even though I would rather stay with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

I just found this link about the Howell Kit, it is legal in California and here is the PDF from the data base;
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-452.pdf

Last edited:
don't worry cheap, its ok.
I think that I may have discovered the California Smog (Idiots) Police's Guidelines. i will most likely need to purchase an "accepted kit"

don't worry cheap, its ok.
I think that I may have discovered the California Smog (Idiots) Police's Guidelines. i will most likely need to purchase an "accepted kit"

Come to Montana, all the other Cali people do :D and wanna know the laws on smog here, NONE! Well im sure there are some but i take it off anyway, i know my dads 86 suburban wouldnt pass in california it doesnt have any smog gear or cats.

Please let us know how your injection system turns out, I have a ca. jeep also and not sure if I will be able to live with the YF. I will be using it at altitude often and doubt it gona run worth beans.

I have purchased the Fuel Injection, Exhaust, Ignition, ECM and Wiring Harness with all of the Sensors from a local Auto Wrecker. I still need the 4.0 Head but that will have to wait.
The California Smog Referee was extremely helpful, go figure! This really falls under the Engine Swap parameters so you need to get all of the Components and Sensors. I will removing the gear from a 1993 Cherokee.
By the way, I went up to my Cabin at 6300 feet and the CJ ran poorly, as expected! Thanks to the previous posts and links I am confident thats this conversion will turn out as expected.

Grab an HO head, engine wiring harness, alternator and OBD I fuel injection system from a '91 to '94 Cherokee. You'll need a Hesco crank position sensor that reads off the crank pulley as well. There's a lot of information written about it on the CJOffroad forum. HESCO is also an excellent source.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom