gas and coolant temp gauges

gas and coolant temp gauges

satxcj

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ-7 258,TF999,TWIN STICK D300, DANA30 & AMC20
I have read just about evey post on the internet about the gas and coolant temp gauges and mine still dont work right. everytime I start my jeep the fuel gauge jumps up to full. The coolant temp is always stuck on H no matter if the jeep is on or off, but the fuel gauge comes back down when the jeep is off. im getting 12 volts of power to the fuel gauge and about 5 volts to the temp gauge. the temp sensor is also getting its 5volts of power. yes eveything is connected correctly according to the painless wiring harness i have installed and the cluster is also new.

I have read just about evey post on the internet about the gas and coolant temp gauges and mine still dont work right. everytime I start my jeep the fuel gauge jumps up to full. The coolant temp is always stuck on H no matter if the jeep is on or off, but the fuel gauge comes back down when the jeep is off. im getting 12 volts of power to the fuel gauge and about 5 volts to the temp gauge. the temp sensor is also getting its 5volts of power. yes eveything is connected correctly according to the painless wiring harness i have installed and the cluster is also new.

1.) Have the gauges worked recently?
2.) If not are the senders bad?
3.) If senders are good check ground.

1.) Have the gauges worked recently?
2.) If not are the senders bad?
3.) If senders are good check ground.

Also did they work before the new wireing harness.

yes they did work befor the harness and I think even after because I remember being excited that that my entire electrical system worked... for a bit I guess:(
both the sensors have been replaced the temp sensor I just did today again since it was only 5 bucks.
I dont suspect a bad ground conection since the harness has a solid ground. I could run a ground wire directly from the batt to the cluster. I checked the ground from the fuel sender and its also a solid connection to the frame
any other ideas?

:wtf: run a ground from the gauge attatch stud to a good ground on the body. The symptoms you discribe seriously sounds like bad ground

the wiring harness came with a ground wire for the cluster and I already had that on the attach stud but I went ahead and attached another wire from the other stud directly to the - side of the batt. went to turn on the jeep and still the fuel gauge creeped up to full and themp gauge stayed at H :confused:

Have you happened across John Strenk's write-ups and gone thru them as they relate to your Jeep/problem. I can't imagine there is a problem that he hasn't covered when it comes to gauges.
Just remember its really easy to burn out the stock gauges. One touch of too much voltage and they are fried. DOuble-check everything using the links below, and let us know what you come up with.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~john.strenk/Gauge%20web%20page/basic_troubleshooting_for_cj_gau.htm

http://home.roadrunner.com/~john.strenk/Gauge%20web%20page/CJSpeedometerGaugeQuickTest.htm

Also I found this tidbit i forgot about on another site...This is just one post in the thread, but it brings up a good point on how to use thread sealant properly on the sender, and how to physically check the sender for proper operation.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/volt-meter-issues-637941/#post6150830

so between work and my summer class that I'm taking I've finally gotten back to work a little on my jeep. I pulled the cluster off and started to look at the resistance and found that my A to Sender reads at about 58-60 Ohms (on fuel guage) so i figure i need to buy new gauges, my temp gauge is reading a good 21 ohms from A to Sender. I still dont know what made this happen on the site it just says you have a problem but it never explains how the problem is created. I checked the fuel sensor also and it works ok. Thank you guys for your help hopefully Ill have the guages in soon.

My 84 had the same problem when I bought it and I figured out the previous owner had the wires backwards I just swapped them and they all started working right it might not be your problem but I though I would just let you know.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom