Gas Tank Straps

Gas Tank Straps

toolow

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 cj7 258 4 speed
I dropped my gas tank to replace the sending unit today. My tank had one strap in the center and the bolt on the strap was broken. The holes on the outside of the tank had bolts. Is it suppose to have three straps ? I looked in my Chiltons and it doesn't show the straps but when I search Amazon and Ebay it shows 3 strap sets or just the center strap.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My 85 CJ has two straps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’ve seen some variations on late CJ’s which could be owner modifications. My 82 came stock with a plastic tank inside a metal basket/skid plate which is bolted to the frame crossmembers. The plastic tank is secured to the basket with a single strap.

Mine is an 80. It had a metal tank and one broken strap in the middle. I ordered the 3 piece set. It looks like the outer straps would go around the tank, skid plate and thru the crossmember holes where you could put nuts on them. But I keep the bolts I took out just in case.

My 86 is 3 strap set up. One over the top likes to break the nut off the threaded end

My 81 has 3 straps 1 over the top and two on the sides

After seeing the above post mine is the same way. I was thinking all three straps went over the top. When Scout said two on the sides I looked and there is a strap on each side. Now I know why they sell them in 3 piece sets. Hopefully the straps arrive this week , install the sending unit and I can have a working gas guage.

After seeing the above post mine is the same way. I was thinking all three straps went over the top. When Scout said two on the sides I looked and there is a strap on each side. Now I know why they sell them in 3 piece sets. Hopefully the straps arrive this week , install the sending unit and I can have a working gas guage.

So are the straps for 15 or 20 gallon tanks ?

I believe mine is a 15 gallon. Not sure how you tell the size until I put gas in it. Here a picture of it.
40d45a3673a567f280830cb7edfa87c3.jpg

Got the straps.Fit great. Doorman part # 578- 060.

Have a working gas guage now. Here is the sending unit I used. Drove it to the gas station and a little trip on the back roads which leads to my new post in Suspension. Ugh
f08c3316bb8b8e52a6920133303f5069.jpg

So are the straps for 15 or 20 gallon tanks ?
I have the 21 gallon MTS tank installed

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks