Gauges

Gauges

kjkorina

Jeeper
Thanks
When I bought my CJ5 project the PO had purchased a stainless dash. So I plan to swap that in, the problem is that all of the gauges were bad and/or mismatched. So I want to get some gauges and start from scratch. But the dash has no cut outs for gauges and I like the way that looks its the stainless all the way across.

What have you guys done regarding aftermarket gauges? Any advice?

I have a 75 CJ5 and I got rid of my beat up stainless dash and bought a black powder coated diamond plate dash. I also ordered matching Auto Meter gauges from Quadratec. When they arrived I brought everything to my local machine shop and they cut out everything and made the modes I wanted done for under a $100. If you want check out my pics.

Hey I also went black on the dash because I will be driving topless and and don't want to get blinded by the sun. Stupid I know but I had that prob before.:chug:

I would measurer a centerline from the top of drivers side to where you what your gauges at, Do this also with the bottom. Take a straight edge and draw a line to connect the two lines from top to bottom. Then you can measure where you want to put your holes, and put small dots. After you have all your dots for where you want, use a center punch and hit a dimple on the dots. Then use the appropriate size hole saw (drill). To drill out the holes where you want them. Use pencil for drawing your lines they will wash off easily. Also go slow with your drilling till you get you hole started, so you don't end up slipping and causing damage to your dash next to where you want your hole. It's cheaper then paying someone to do it.:) Have fun!

here's what I did...
I used Autometer guages and made the guage plate removable so I could work on it if necessary. Also angled the guages towards me. This was done about 12 years ago. Since then I've seen companies that do something similar. I didnt have unlimited funds so I did what I could afford at the time.

I'm just bummed by how much the gauge sets cost :(. Trying to rebuild on a budget over here. Was thinking about just leaving no speedo or gauges for right now (probably wiretie the current speedo up under the dash) until I save up some money for a nice set of them. Don't necessarily want to cut the dash for a few gauges and then later have the money for a whole set and have to get a new dash to redesign it all.

I bought these Autometer's Auto Meter - Gauges from Jegs for under $200.

This is the best pic I currently have of my dash. I bent up a blank and put things where I wanted them. I wish now I would have done more metal work and built a gauge pod or panel that faces me like jeepboy45 did but I was burnt out on the build at that time.
2011-12-04_11-06-37_694.jpg

Your dash looks great... Nice guages ...:chug:

I bought these Autometer's Auto Meter - Gauges from Jegs for under $200.

This is the best pic I currently have of my dash. I bent up a blank and put things where I wanted them. I wish now I would have done more metal work and built a gauge pod or panel that faces me like jeepboy45 did but I was burnt out on the build at that time.
2011-12-04_11-06-37_694.jpg

Back at ya, and thank you. :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom