Gauges ???

Gauges ???

billyocup

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ5 304V8 T15 D20 D44 D30 2 1/2" lift, 05 Victory Kingpin, 2011 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel 4x4
I'm in the process of laying out the dash in my 75 build: Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page) and I'm looking for recommendations (or what to stay away from) for new gauges.

I have a couple of new Autometer UltraLite II gauges that were given to me and was thinking of just matching the rest with those, but thought I'd ask first.

As always, I really appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks, Bill :chug:

It depends on what you want for gauges. example: every style has a fuel gauge but very few will work with yous sending unit, same with speedometer. I managed to get all of mine to match except the in dash tachometer.:cool:

I'm in the process of laying out the dash in my 75 build: Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page) and I'm looking for recommendations (or what to stay away from) for new gauges.

I have a couple of new Autometer UltraLite II gauges that were given to me and was thinking of just matching the rest with those, but thought I'd ask first.

As always, I really appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks, Bill :chug:

Most aftermarket speedo's go up to 180mph. That drives me nut because I would never even use half the sweep of the guage. Hell, most cars would only use 2/3rds at best.

I've used Auto meter for alot of years with good luck. The new ones are kinda chincy (way more plastic) compared to the old ones though.
As IO said if you want them to match you have to map it out as to which style has everything you need. I ended up with acouple different styles, but it doesn't matter to me.

Kane - I agree, even 100 mph in a Jeep is way too fast!

IO & Old Dog - Thanks for the input. I understand with the fuel gauge that the OHM rating has to match the sending unit. Not sure I understand what the restrictions would be for the speedo though.

Thanks again for the help, Bill

a lot of them will be electric. finding an interface is a PITA. some will require a custom cable. but the information you need is a bit difficult to find.:cool:

Kane - I agree, even 100 mph in a Jeep is way too fast!

IO & Old Dog - Thanks for the input. I understand with the fuel gauge that the OHM rating has to match the sending unit. Not sure I understand what the restrictions would be for the speedo though.

Thanks again for the help, Bill

Most aftermarket speedo's go up to 180mph. That drives me nut because I would never even use half the sweep of the guage. Hell, most cars would only use 2/3rds at best.
A 1:2 multiplier speedo unit works great for this. ;) Most speedo shops can build you one though a 1:2 multiplier may be had to find. This is a image I found on the net.

attachment.php

Attachments

• reduce.jpg
    reduce.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 396
IO & CJ - Thanks for the input.

The 2 gauges that I have are both Auto Meter Pro-Comp Ultra-Lite gauges that I believe were originally purchased for a 76 CJ5.

I have a fuel gauge (mod # 4415) which says its 73 OHMS empty and 8 1/2 OHMS full, which I think is correct for my 75 CJ5 sending unit.

The other gauge is oil pressure (mod # 4427) which is complete with the electric sending unit & installation kit.

I'm hoping these 2 will work and then add speedo, tach, volt & temp, and hopefully have them match.

I had a dream once that my jeep was going over 100 once and i still had the insight that i was about to die so i woke up.

I would make sure you spend the money now instead of going cheap with like a sun pro. those things even get the hint of moisture and they rust. Just make sure your not drilling hole all over the place in a dash that made of 3/8 aluminum like the PO of my 75 that put 6x9 speakers in the dash and cut some awful looking holes it it.

A 1:2 multiplier speedo unit works great for this. ;) Most speedo shops can build you one though a 1:2 multiplier may be had to find. This is a image I found on the net.

attachment.php

But then you are always reading twice the speed. I dont see how that would help with a 180mph speedo. I could see that for a gearing change though.

Yep - reads twice the speed but since the scale is so large it is pretty accurate. Works on your math skills also! ;)

Back in the day the cool thing for American muscle cars was a mechanical fuel pressure gauge mounted in front of the driver but outside between the windshield and back of the hood.

I don't know why I even posted that beside the fact I'm board. :p I wouldn't even bother with a fuel pressure gauge except on a race-track only car.

Razorfish - I lived right across the freeway from you, in Fremont, for 30 years, so I can understand being bored in Newark.:laugh:

Anyway, I found voltmeter, water temp, tach and a mechanical speedo that match the gauges that I have. Just wondering if there is anything else with gauges that I need to be worried about besides the OHM rating on the fuel gauge and the speedo cable? Are there any other gauges I really need?

Bill :chug:

Razorfish - I lived right across the freeway from you, in Fremont, for 30 years, so I can understand being bored in Newark.:laugh:
Bill :chug:
Hey I grew up in Fremont. It wasn't until I got married that I moved around and then back to the area in Newark. Irvington High by any chance?

I went to Kennedy, graduated in 70. My younger brother went to Irvington. He's 4 years behind me.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks