Gear oil

Gear oil

callerys

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 258 I6, T5
I know this has been beat to death in other threads with still no clear answer but thought I would ask anyway. Any known issues putting Lucas 75-90 synthetic in a Dana 300 and t5?

Will be fine.in the tcase... Don't know about the t5.. If it calls for 80-90 it will be fine.

The T-5, you may receive a few different replies and reason why they use what they use.

The factory called for gear lube until they began having issues with tranny lock-ups, seems the thick gear oil wasn't properly lubricating the first gear hub. The results, in 1982 the factory recommended ATF. I've heard of dealerships using straight 30wt as well.

The factory gear lube for a T5 (fishoil) most closely resembles 75-90W gear oil.

Spankrjs over on the Scrambler board sent some original lube off and had it analyzed.

I'd run some synthetic gear lube in the T5 like MT90 from Redline.

That's why I thought the Lucas Synthetic 75-90 would be ok. Just wanted another opinion. This is a 1984, I knew that the older ones ran ATF?

I know this has been beat to death in other threads with still no clear answer but thought I would ask anyway. Any known issues putting Lucas 75-90 synthetic in a Dana 300 and t5?

Use it:chug:
LG

AMC paid a big price in burnt T5's use'n ATF.
That's why they made that special 'stink-oil' that was Sulfur laced(turned seals to rock).
Use 75W-90 syn and you'll be good.
LG

After reading a ton of posts and opinions I ended up running Valvoline MTF...Alot of people run it with no issues and Valvoline specifically lists the T5 in their product specs you can find here (under Jeep, all other vehicles in right'ish column): http://www.carquestprofessionals.co...nsmission Fluid Application Guide 6.6.13.pdf The link says carquest, but it's a link to Valvoline's 2013 manual transmission fluid guide.

I've only had the Jeep on the road for about 500 miles so my usage is Limited, but I haven't had any issues with my T5. LG who posted above has a T5 and has had it since he drove it off the lot in the 80's, so his opinion is based on quite a few more miles than mine :D. I'm no expert, but as long as you don't put peanut oil in it you should be fine with any of the recommendations above.

I have to say when I was fixing up the 84 I bought this was the "research" part I hated. Lol, there is no "answer" because of all the changes AMC tried to make and the troubles they had as listed above with 90wt then the ATF etc. To make it worse many very knowledgeable people will disagree/choose differently on this question and I am one of those "go with the experts" people, lol. So that didn't really help.

I have seen on multiple forums a guy that posts all the recall information and links over the years and states that the only current corporate (as in AMC/Chrysler) oil recommendation is the straight gear oil. I'll see if I can find one of those and paste it.

Don't forget there's more than one type of T5 tranny out there.
The 'World-Class' T5(Mustang etc.)does in fact use ATF.
LG

Ya I can't imagine peanut oil working out. The guy at O'reilly's said I should reference the AMC part number and to call the AMC dealership to get the right product. I explained that there were no more AMC dealerships, and he had no clue.

Thanks everyone. I will change it out this weekend.

Last edited:
Ya I can't imagine peanut oil working out. The guy at O'reilly's said I should reference the AMC part number and to call the AMC dealership to get the right product. I explained that there were no more AMC dealerships, and he had no clue.

LOL-On the job train'n at it's best :rolleyes:
Then AMC 'stink oil' hasn't been around in 10-15+ years.
The PN# is 83000000.
LG

The new part # = 30wt motor oil

I'm not doing your homework for you, call up a Chrysler dealership and ask.

I'm not doing your homework for you, call up a Chrysler dealership and ask.

I did-They said 75W-90 syn for the old AMC, T5s.

LG

I did-They said 75W-90 syn for the old AMC, T5s.
LG
If that is what they really told you, and you believed it, your both mistaken.

The T-5 lube part # in 1984 was 89 83 000 000
Superseded by part # 4549636
Superseded by part # 4874464
The T-5 fluid must meet specification SM 9224
Shell owns Pennzoil
Pennzoil supplies Mopar
Mopar part # 4874464 is,
Pennzoil 3501 = synthetic 5w-20
Amsoil synthetic manual synchromesh transmission fluid 5W-20 meets SM 9224 as well.
Prior to 1991 5w30 or 30w were acceptable fluids for the T-5 depending on climate.

If I owned a T-5, I wouldn't but anything heavier then what the factory recommends from the list above. Hope this helps.

I've been running 75W90 in my T5 since 1993. Haven't had any problems with it yet, have a T176 in the shop to go in the Jeep whenever the T5 decides to go.

Let's face it, it was AMC. They tried one thing, it didn't work, so they tried something else. They weren't concerned with long term longetivity on these things, they were concerned with making it last until the warranty had expired. When you really get down to it, the T4/T5 and SR4 NEVER should have been put in a Jeep in the first place (unless it was a 4cyl).

Again, sparkrjs over on the Scrambler board sent off OEM T5 fluid and had it analyzed. It was very close to 75W90 oil, but didn't exactly match anything currently available.

If that is what they really told you, and you believed it, your both mistaken.

The T-5 lube part # in 1984 was 89 83 000 000
Superseded by part # 4549636
Superseded by part # 4874464
The T-5 fluid must meet specification SM 9224
Shell owns Pennzoil
Pennzoil supplies Mopar
Mopar part # 4874464 is,
Pennzoil 3501 = synthetic 5w-20
Amsoil synthetic manual synchromesh transmission fluid 5W-20 meets SM 9224 as well.
Prior to 1991 5w30 or 30w were acceptable fluids for the T-5 depending on climate.

If I owned a T-5, I wouldn't but anything heavier then what the factory recommends from the list above. Hope this helps.

You can stop the snide remarks---:rolleyes:
And YES, that's what I was told--Didn't say I believed or agreed.
Haven rebuild a few dozen+ T4 & T5 'boxes' over the last 30 yrs, if someone thinks I'm run'n 5W20 in them, is sadly mistaken.
Have proven to myself(user oil analysis)and many others-that 75W90 syn gear oil works the best.
Jeep T5's stopped be'n made in 1986.
Have a great day--
LG

You can stop the snide remarks---:rolleyes:
And YES, that's what I was told--Didn't say I believed or agreed.
Haven rebuild a few dozen+ T4 & T5 'boxes' over the last 30 yrs, if someone thinks I'm run'n 5W20 in them, is sadly mistaken.
Have proven to myself(user oil analysis)and many others-that 75W90 syn gear oil works the best.
Jeep T5's stopped be'n made in 1986.
Have a great day--
LG
You asked, I supplied the info from the factory. Pennzoil's books go back to 1984 as well. It's your tranny use what you want. The snide comment was way off base and not appreciated.

"The snide comment was way off base and not appreciated."

Your apology, is accepted-:D
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks