General Grabber red letter tires?

General Grabber red letter tires?

Dirty Harry

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7 (project in the works for YEARS)

2000 Cherokee Sport
general-grabber-extreme-traction-group-large.png

Anyone have a set of these General Grabber red letter tires on their CJ (or ANY vehicle)?? I'm shopping for new wheels & tires once my project is road ready and these caught my eye while I was checking out the AT2 / BFG-AT clones that they sell. Advice or experience with their BFG clones is welcome, also. I had BFG AT tires on my old F-250 SD diesel and they wore quite well and never got me stuck. The Generals look almost identical for a good deal less. Just curious about lower cost options. Thanks!

Thanks.

Harry, I would say it all depends on just what terrain you are going to put you tires through. Looking at that tire, it looks like a pretty healthy tread for both mud and terrain. It does have a three ply rating though, is that for both tread and sidewall? the way I see it there are Super Swampers and the less expensive tires. Most of us are usually stuck with the less expensive jobs. When you start getting sidewall punctures you will see what I mean. My next set of tires will be some 8 plys and hopefully for the first time in my life I hope I will go thru a set of tires without out a sidewall puncture, which means the tire is history.

I read a review of these in a magazine. They were very tough tires. The one thing that stood out was that the reviewers said this was a very heavy tire. About the heaviest tires for the size that they have tested.
That extra unsprung weight may not be an issue on a 3/4 ton truck or bigger but you may not want that on a CJ. Not a big problem. If you have large steel wheels you would also have a lot of unsprung weight. The issue would be going over bumps at speed. Your suspension would be expected to do a better job to compensate for the unsprung weight. The suspension on a CJ isn't the best for that.

I'll see if I can find the review.

If you plan to drive this Jeep alot on the street and in rain or snow you will be better off looking for a tire that has siping in the tread. These do not and will spin on wet pavement easily. I made this mistake with an early A BAD WORD Cepek mud tire and i regretted it.

I was admittedly surprised by the fact that the ply on these was "only" rated a 3. Heck, my lawn tractor runs 4 plys! Anyhow, I just thought they looked... unique. I have been considering their AT2 tires which are just clones of the BFG All Terrains.

I plan to mostly run my CJ on the street around town and occasional trips, but very little off roading and nothing punishing. I've spent too much time and $$$ to drive ride out and trash it. Sorry if this makes me seem like a wussy, but it's too mice to go and beat up on.

I plan to run Centerline Dicer Nitrous aluminum rims, which are the closest thing I've found to the ols school slotted mags that were everywhere in the 70's. I love Centerlines and ran a set of their classic AutoDrags on my Suzuki Samurai back in my college days.

For tires I am also considering, among other brand/styles, Nitto Terra Grapplers, General Grabber AT2, and ProComp All-Terrains. Again, nothing too aggressive since it'll be primarily an around town/back roads fun runner.

Thanx for the feedback!

This is me with Wifey's Grand and what I thought were cool looking Nitto Terra Grapplers about 40 miles from the nearest pavement. A small sharp rock went through the tread, destroying the tire.

Well I guess I can scratch the Nitto tires off my list! That situation looks about like the kind of luck I'd have only I probably wouldn't have a spare. ;-)

I've been happy with Toyo tires (for street use) I'm on my 2nd. set of these Open Country A/T | Toyo Tires on my dodge 2500. They do well on dirt roads and rain on the highway.

These are the tires currently on my Cherokee and I absolutely LOVE them!
2q9a0kp.jpg

Unfortunately, it seems Mickey Thompson is no longer making them. If I can find a set in the right size then I'll snag them! :mad:

The wheels I'm saving for are these Centerline Dicer-Nitrous:
dvraft.jpg

I think this would make a very handsome tire/wheel combo. Fingers crossed, but willing to accept other options for the tires.

quick-look.png
These are what I run on my wifes Jeep and I love them. They are good in snow,ice,mud,rain and are quiet and wear good.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks