Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 Jeep Cj5 Renegade
I258 1987 Engine
Aisin Warner Ax15 Transmission
Dana 300 Transfer Case
I have a 1980 CJ5 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6. When it sits for a day or more it has o turn over for about 45 seconds to a minute to pull gas from the tank to the carb (I believe). After it has been started for a day or so it will start instantly. What causes this to be? What can I do to make the gas stay? Is it the fuel pump loses compression and has to pull it back or something else?

I would like to fix this but need your ideas, is it the fuel pump or something else? I am not sure what exactly is causing this.

Thanks for the help!

I think its the fuel pump but the only two ways to prove it are to replace the pump and the other costs more than the price of the pump. I would say that to loose the prime on the line you would need to suck in a little air. This leak is not even a damp ooze. It takes at least a day to suck enough air to release the draw on the line. there could also be a problem with any fitting, rubber hose or bend in the tubing.:cool:

I have a 1980 CJ5 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6. When it sits for a day or more it has o turn over for about 45 seconds to a minute to pull gas from the tank to the carb (I believe). After it has been started for a day or so it will start instantly. What causes this to be? What can I do to make the gas stay? Is it the fuel pump loses compression and has to pull it back or something else?

I would like to fix this but need your ideas, is it the fuel pump or something else? I am not sure what exactly is causing this.

Thanks for the help!

you could go to an electric fuel pump and not have to worry anymore :chug: It could be leaking out of the fuel bowls the lines the filter thru the pump :(

Start by checking the fuel lines from the carb to the pump.
Bend them in half if they crack replace them. Also make sure your filter
is good to go while your at it. Use quality fuel hose clamps not the cheapy kind.

i have this same problem. sometimes my jeep sits for two or three weeks and it takes a minute or two for it to start. i fired her up today after 3 days and it was fine. i have a clear fuel filter before my pump which is new. if its a couple of days theres gas in the filter. if its a couple of weeks theres no gas in the filter and i have new lines from the tank to the carb. everything is new but the sending unit that dont work.

There is a needle that sits against the float in the carb, check it and the bowl for debris.

I just fixed a similar problem on my 80 CJ5 . My problem was an old hose that connected the fuel supply to the inlet of the pump. After starting every day for a couple of weeks and then sitting for a couple of more, it wouldn't start at all. I was about to head to town for another pump and just happened to reach down and feel the rubber inlet hose. It was soft with obviously no fuel in it and when I squeezed it I could actually see splits in it. It never leaked liquid but obviously sucked air. I'm not sure if there's any more rubber further back towards the tank but I plan to check it out this weekend.

Thanks for the help!

The first thing to check is your fuel filter position. Do you have this style of fuel filter, with one inlet and two outlets?

DSC01692.jpg DSC01691.jpg

On the end with the two outlets the top fitting needs to be above the lower or center fitting. The top fitting is the fuel return back to the tank. If the return fitting is lower than fuel outlet to the carb, fuel will be siphoned out of the carb bowl and back to the tank.

This situation will make for hard starts after your Jeep has sat for a day or two. This is a common problem and one I experienced myself with my AMC 304 when I first purchased my '79 CJ7 .

I repositioned the filter and now my AMC 304 starts within a few cranks even after sitting for weeks.

Hope this helps.........

Great advice from all. :)

A cracked fuel line still ranks high on my list.

Thanks for the help!

My brother had a 78 CJ5 . He had the exact same problem. He replace the fuel pump. Problem solved.

I spent some time checking my fuel lines today. I also have had trouble with hard starts after the Jeep (79 CJ5 AMC 304 ) sits for more than a day. My fuel filter needed rotating so the return line was on top. I'm also replacing the rubber lines to the fuel pump and the return line. It looks like I've got some crimped style clamp (original hose?) where the rubber meets the metal fuel lines at the frame. I'm cautious about busting the metal fuel lines. Is there a trick to getting these clamps off?

I spent some time checking my fuel lines today. I also have had trouble with hard starts after the Jeep (79 CJ5 AMC 304 ) sits for more than a day. My fuel filter needed rotating so the return line was on top. I'm also replacing the rubber lines to the fuel pump and the return line. It looks like I've got some crimped style clamp (original hose?) where the rubber meets the metal fuel lines at the frame. I'm cautious about busting the metal fuel lines. Is there a trick to getting these clamps off?
Where the prongs protrude from the clamp squeeze them together and wiggle the clamp and lift up or down at the same time till you clear the metal part of the fuel line.If that don't work get a pair of diagonal side cutters [DIKES] and cut the clamp.If theres no protruding prongs on the clamp cut them with side cutters where the crimp is made on the clamp.
Mike

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom