Getting valve cover off

Getting valve cover off

Kevinp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ
How do you go about getting the valve cover off a 1985 CJ7 ?

If you've removed the 8 (I'm pretty sure it's 8, one on the front three down both sides and one on the back) bolts that hold it in place it should pop off. If it doesn't pop right off, you may have to work a screwdriver/small pry tool the entire way around the valve cover gasket to loosen it up.

Good luck :chug:

Boy, what is it with valve covers in '85 CJ7s lately? :) You may need to unbolt the Transfer Case support & jack it up a bit to tip the engine forward.

i took my valve cover off today,took all the bolts out of cover and removed it.but once i got it off realized it was plastic .that,s where the problem started ,found hole burnt in the side of it ,dealer wanted 270.00 dollars for it ,found one on ebay for 75.00

hijacked.png

It depends. What year and engine? The 1981 and newer AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l straight sixes had a factory plastic valve cover that are notorious for leaking and developing holes in them. An aftermarket aluminum valve cover, like the one pictured, will fit with no issues. 1980 and older AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l straight sixes had a factory stamped steel valve cover and is very different from the plastic ones.

83501398-ALB.jpg

hijacked.png

It depends. What year and engine? The 1981 and newer AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l straight sixes had a factory plastic valve cover that are notorious for leaking and developing holes in them. An aftermarket aluminum valve cover, like the one pictured, will fit with no issues. 1980 and older AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l straight sixes had a factory stamped steel valve cover and is very different from the plastic ones.

83501398-ALB.jpg

I'll vouch twice here - once for the aluminum one shown because that's what I've got on my CJ7 , and once for the stamped steel ones 'cause that's what I've got on one of my CJ5s (the other's a Renegade , AMC 304 ). Both types of metal cover work just fine.

I'm assuming everyone is correct when they give advice on the straight six motor..... I had an 85 CJ7 that had the plastic valve cover that leaked like crazy so I bought the aluminum one and even though it had two bolts busted off in the head it still didn't leak. As far as getting the old one off, I would make sure you have all of the bolts out (there is one in the rear that is usually a pain to get out), buy an aluminum one, and tear the plastic one out regardless of destroying it..... May just be MHO but I'm not a fan of the plastic valve covers :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom