going to build a TBI for my CJ5

going to build a TBI for my CJ5

Thorwon

Active Jeeper
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5 134"F" 3sp with Warn OD
I've been doing a lot of reading on line about putting TBI on engines that weren't designed for it. It seems like a fairly simple installation and it'll give me electronic ign.
The biggest thing being getting the components.
I've found the TBI unit now I'm looking for the harness, distributor,
computer, sensors and fuel pump.
I'm watching most of these on flebay and searching CL also.
It looks like I'll have about $250 in the whole system when I get it all.
Once I start to put it togeather I take pics and post them.
So now I have a Holley 4 bbl and a cast iron intake I will not need.
I'll post them in the for sale section when I get time.
:chug:

ive been thinking about this to so ill be watching :popcorn:

Me too.:cool:

great minds think alike?:laugh:

I see how ya'll are, you're going to let me have all the fun then copy what works so you don't have to go through pains.:laugh:

I see how ya'll are, you're going to let me have all the fun then copy what works so you don't have to go through pains.:laugh:

Oh no!! never happen! right guys.:rolleyes:

its a rewarding upgrade. i have a 2 brl tbi kit on my 360 in my CJ5 and im just under 300 hp and im i go at some insaine angles with it with no problems. im also getting like 17 mpg. i had some issues with it but in the long run it is worth it and i learn alot about the systems so any questions on routeing or troubleshooting im glad to help out

OK first series of questions, what's the difference between the pre 92 and post 92 TBI?
Which is better?

I believe the difference is related to emmisions and locations of sensors.
I pieced my kit together using parts from a 92 s-10 blazer, as it was in better shape and had the least mods/hacks of the wiring.

OK first series of questions, what's the difference between the pre 92 and post 92 TBI?
Which is better?

i may be wrong but post 92 has a o2 sensor that is needed, for better emissions and better economy with fuel use, it will know if you are rich or lean. also the injectors are hearsay better.

i may be wrong but post 92 has a o2 sensor that is needed, for better emissions and better economy with fuel use, it will know if you are rich or lean. also the injectors are hearsay better.

The reason I ask is I have acquired a 89 tbi and a 95 tbi. I was trying to decide which one to use.
The next thing I'll be looking for is a harness. Which one (tbi) I use will tell me what year harness I look for.

The earlier one will probably be easier as most how to's are written about older harnesses.

But it doesn't really matter, you have to weed the harness and if your looking at a wiring diagram for what ever year harness you have your just gonna keep certain wires anyway. So it'll just be the colors that change. I used the links in post #11 http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/useful-info-thought-id-share-665/
As kind of a guide as to what to weed and what to keep.
Once weeded you wont have much wiring left it's actually surprising.

If you want to keep it simple, contact affordable fuel injection and buy just the harness and computer chip. Then you just supply all the other bits and pieces, and your up and running quick. Affordable Fuel Injection - AMC/Jeep Throttle Body Fuel Injection

Also before you dive in read all the TBI, wiring stuff I have in the link above.
If you use an O2 sensor make sure you locate it down stream about the same distance as the vehicle you got the computer from.

The earlier one will probably be easier as most how to's are written about older harnesses.

But it doesn't really matter, you have to weed the harness and if your looking at a wiring diagram for what ever year harness you have your just gonna keep certain wires anyway. So it'll just be the colors that change. I used the links in post #11 http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/useful-info-thought-id-share-665/
As kind of a guide as to what to weed and what to keep.
Once weeded you wont have much wiring left it's actually surprising.

If you want to keep it simple, contact affordable fuel injection and buy just the harness and computer chip. Then you just supply all the other bits and pieces, and your up and running quick. Affordable Fuel Injection - AMC/Jeep Throttle Body Fuel Injection

Also before you dive in read all the TBI, wiring stuff I have in the link above.
If you use an O2 sensor make sure you locate it down stream about the same distance as the vehicle you got the computer from.

Thanks Brock, I've been reading every TBI install thread I can find. The one in post #11 is awesome, I'll be going over it several times before I start my actual build. It is by far the most complete build I have seen yet.:notworthy:

Check out this link MegaSquirt, everything you will need at a fraction of the cost. Its what we use and they work every time.

I don't know if I've got smarts enough to build and tune a controller. But I'm not going to rule it out, I will be reading the MegaSquirt pages the next few days while I'm off work, thanks for the link.:)
I do think I can adapt a complete system to my AMC 304 from a 305. I know I'll need a chip setup for my AMC 304 because the torque curves are different, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.:D

To bad you didn't go this route a month ago.
I had a complete setup for a 305 I sold.

If I had to do it again I'd just have AFI build me a harness and chip then scrounge my own parts and pieces. Remember to get the correct 747 ECU. Junk yards usually have these laying on shelves or are even still in the vehicles. It's best to source all your parts from the same vehicle. It makes it easy to pick up a chiltons manual for wiring diagrams and weeding.
If you go scrounging grab the doner vin, also the computers are usually behind the glove box.

Well I would say don’t rule the MS out yet, it is not has hard as it sounds. Easy laptop interface, and it just freaking works. One of the main reasons I like it is it gives me the ability to use my own parts, if I want to design my own HAL-effect I can, need a custom crank or cam timing I can build my own.

We get a lot of people asking us to build a custom harness or a conversion harness or just plain wire the thing up, the first thing I tell them is understand what you are getting into. If you go 95 and older it is a much more forgiving system, however it is designed around a specific vehicle, that is the ECU knows the tranny gearing, final gear ratio, weight, cylinder volume and flow and so on. Will it work without factoring in all the parameters? Yes, will it have issues from time to time? Yes. A 96 and newer is much better but it is much harder to work with, but it is nice to plug in a computer if you want to change tire size or gear ratio. And that is the benefit of the MS, you set the base line parameters.

Case in point I had a shop contact me asking about wiring a V8 in a Bronco II, I told them it was easy, just contact me before you buy the engine. About a month later they called me and said the engine was installed and they needed it wired in a week so it could go on a planned trip to Moab. An hour later I had it running and told them to call me with they get back and we will do some "clean up":

http://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/9/2/7/89fordr2rfup2.jpg

A great lesson was learned that day. The problem was they went with a 98 engine and Transmission , which required the ECU and the tranny ECU, with the installation of an aftermarket ECU everything works like a top.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom