going to build a TBI for my CJ5

going to build a TBI for my CJ5
so the primary advantage of the MS is it is programable where the GM will not be?

Well yes, to be exact, it is easy to program as needed. I should probably mention that you can have the GM ECU reprogrammed but you will in most cases need to send it off or have a 96 and up heavily modified. I would rather plug in my laptop than send off the ECU if I want a different size tires.

Well yes, to be exact, it is easy to program as needed. I should probably mention that you can have the GM ECU reprogrammed but you will in most cases need to send it off or have a 96 and up heavily modified. I would rather plug in my laptop than send off the ECU if I want a different size tires.

So what do I need to program or reprogram the MS ECU? I have not had a chance to read all the info on the MS site yet, and don't know if I would understand it all.
I have a laptop and can learn new software.:D
If it's that versatile I think that's what I want.

So what do I need to program or reprogram the MS ECU? I have not had a chance to read all the info on the MS site yet, and don't know if I would understand it all.
I have a laptop and can learn new software.
If it's that versatile I think that's what I want.

Just a laptop running windows 95 or better. You do all the programing through the open source software. You will need to know how to solder, but you should be soldering all FI connections anyway. To be honest we don’t build the kits anymore, we order the complete ECU built rather than doing it “Heath kit” style. Under $400 for a complete ECU that you can tune with a laptop, and it is new, you just cant beat that.

O.K. here is one hitch, IM laws are a scam and a joke, to get around c.a.r.b. certification, this is called a scientific project kit, so it is not street legal in CA and other states. As I understand it this is not allowed in CA at all because it does not have the cert. Here in Ut we are fine as long as it passes the IM standards of the model year, fact is if you cant make a carbureted vehicle pass cleaner with FI you probably should not be driving let alone working on a vehicle.

Just for kicks I thought I would check the forum to see if anyone has done a Jeep or not, I don’t know the people they are just posts on a board, but I am sure you could post up a question for someone that has done one on a Jeep, although all vehicles are basically the same.

Just keep in mind, a FI vehicle needs good clean power at low RPM, plan on upgrading the alternator or you will get the shakes at idle.

www.MSruns.com • View topic - 225 buick V6 Jeepster

www.MSruns.com • View topic - 1975 Jeep CJ5 4.2l (258ci)

Well I found a TBI on CL, it is the throttle body, EGR and solenoid, most sensors (no O2), ECM, distributor, breather, hoses, and harness. The harness was cut going to the O2 but wires remain. All for $80. It's from a 1989 Suburban with a 350 but I can get a 305 chip from Ebay.
Going to pick it up next week. Then the fun starts.:D

Sounds like a good start. I clipped my o2 wire when I pulled my harness.
You should have plenty of wire for it. Also mount the o2 sensor in the exhaust about the same distance it would be on a 305.

Sounds like a good start. I clipped my o2 wire when I pulled my harness.
You should have plenty of wire for it. Also mount the o2 sensor in the exhaust about the same distance it would be on a 305.

It looks like the tbi project is going to be put on hold for about a month. We purchased another house yesterday and will be moving as soon as I can get the needed repairs completed to the new place. It is on 2 acres ouside of Commerce Ga. and has nearly 200 feet of river front. I'll post pics when I get the chance. It's got a huge back yard (place for a SHOP).:D
So if this thread dies for a while it's OK. "I'll be back".:D

I am running headers so from what I have read the O2 sensor will need to be a 3 wire. I have gathered so much info it'll take me weeks to read and sort through it all. It's amazing how much info is out there. :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom