Good Transmission Shifter for TH400 GM??

Good Transmission Shifter for TH400 GM??

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
Could anyone recommend a good street shifter for a forward pattern valve body on a GM Turbo 400 gm turbo hydramatic Transmission ?

I've heard some about Lokar (just don't like that they don't have a backup light switch),
B&M but they are shorter and have a Large base.
some about Hurst..

But I am still not sure which one...

This is a list of what I hope to get with the shifter:
Shifter, Cable, Handle, Backup light switch, n/s switch, lite indicator light, etc.

Hope to use as a daily driver..

Please let me know what shifter is good with at GM Turbo 400 (1975 model year) and tall enough for a CJ7 ..
:driving:

I run the artcarr shifter.
No reverse switch though

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

this will be the dumb question of the day, but:

Do you not have a column shift in your Jeep? Was it originally a stick and someone converted it to an auto? Or do you just want the floor shift?

Just curious...

brian

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I would have responded quicker but have been researching shifters and paint for my cj.:ty:

I still haven't decided on a shifter. I am going to contact b&m tomorrow and ask what they suggest for my cj since the Transmission wasn't stock. :chug:

this will be the dumb question of the day, but:

Do you not have a column shift in your Jeep? Was it originally a stick and someone converted it to an auto? Or do you just want the floor shift?

Just curious...

brian

Hi Jeepboy45,
THere is no such thing as a dumb question, unless unspoken... :D
So to answer your question: My cj used to be a manual. But a po installed the GM Turbo 400 and, I believe a Transfer Case from a full sized jeep truck (Dana 20 ) --looks different from cj Dana 20 ... :cool:

I am just going to throw this out there, but:

Its easy to change out a steering column. Why not just get an column from a CJ or even a wagoneer, that had auto tranny. I swapped out my stock non-tilt auto column years ago for one from a wagoneer with a tilt column....easy swap. In your case the benefit would be that the shifter would be less in the way on the column...

Just my thoughts on it...

brian

I really like my B&M pro stick they can be fitted with a N switch and back-up lite switch but they do not have an indicator lite.
The main reason I went this way is that you can easly make them either N slam or reverse slam by changing the shift plates in them. This was important to me as I use mine off road more than on.
They are short though so I had to make a mount for mine to sit up between the seats.

I am just going to throw this out there, but:

Its easy to change out a steering column. Why not just get an column from a CJ or even a wagoneer, that had auto tranny. I swapped out my stock non-tilt auto column years ago for one from a wagoneer with a tilt column....easy swap. In your case the benefit would be that the shifter would be less in the way on the column...

Just my thoughts on it...

brian

Thanks for the suggestion Jeepboy45 but I just rebuilt the steering column in my jeep.(po installed the ignition switch under the dash.. I didn't like it so, I rebuilt it thanks to some parts from a "traded" column and some new bearings, ignition switch, turnsignal swich and some other parts... So,.. I realllllllly don't want to take it apart again...:barf: :eek:

I really like my B&M pro stick they can be fitted with a N switch and back-up lite switch but they do not have an indicator lite.
The main reason I went this way is that you can easly make them either N slam or reverse slam by changing the shift plates in them. This was important to me as I use mine off road more than on.
They are short though so I had to make a mount for mine to sit up between the seats.

Hi Olddog,
Nice.. But I don't want to race or off road mine.. (I know what a waste) Especially since I want to paint it PINK...:eek: Don't worry, I want a hot, brilliant pink... You know: Pretty pink.. Not marykay pink but vibrant... Maybe a little purple in it or a black cherry only not red but black and pink... So Black bubblegum.. Something like that...:rolleyes:

I've done a little research...

Could I get some opinions (especially if you've owned one) on B&M Sport Shifter???
Summit Racing Part Number: BMM-80776

I think it looks classy... But does it perform smoothly ?:confused:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom