got 4h and 4l no 2h Wtf

got 4h and 4l no 2h Wtf

countryez

Jeeper
Thanks
okay little background just rescued this jeep trying to assess problems planning alot of work but trying to get a grip on whats going on here.after 3 weeks in the garage I finally got her to fire up yeah me!!! smoked like a bitch but none the less to be expected from 3years in the woods. I ran through gears an I have 4 wheel but not 2 no grinding, clucth feels ok I thought maybe it could be rear axle out but engages in 4 wheel.(it been raining none stop for 2 weeks here nuff to spin tire abit) to see its getting power.now mind you we didn't leave driveway so no mileage to speak of. I have went over most post and see alot where you lose 4 wheel drive but not 2 any help would be welcome. and no a match and gallon of gas not an oppostion :)

it's basically a stock 86 CJ7 in need of alot of attention

okay little background just rescued this jeep trying to assess problems planning alot of work but trying to get a grip on whats going on here.after 3 weeks in the garage I finally got her to fire up yeah me!!! smoked like a bitch but none the less to be expected from 3years in the woods. I ran through gears an I have 4 wheel but not 2 no grinding, clucth feels ok I thought maybe it could be rear axle out but engages in 4 wheel.(it been raining none stop for 2 weeks here nuff to spin tire abit) to see its getting power.now mind you we didn't leave driveway so no mileage to speak of. I have went over most post and see alot where you lose 4 wheel drive but not 2 any help would be welcome. and no a match and gallon of gas not an oppostion :)

it's basically a stock 86 CJ7 in need of alot of attention

Sounds like the linkage or shift rails.

thats one of the areas I haven't got to I will take a look thanks I didn't know if you lose your Transfer Case it was possible to lose top side and not downside I guess thats what got me confused

is the stick going some place or is it just stayng in 4 H, I am guessing 2H is all the way forward.any idea what kind of TC you have??

I'm going to guess it's the little buttons on the shift fork but the truth is, I got nothing.:eek:

is the stick going some place or is it just stayng in 4 H, I am guessing 2H is all the way forward.any idea what kind of TC you have??

If its the Dana 300 it should be:

4L
2H
N
4H

I wish mine remained this simple... I guess it still is after you get used to it, but going from those 4 positions to a twin stick Dana 300 with 2 sticks and only 3 positions each is confusing! haha...

Last edited:
If its the Dana 300 it should be: 4L
2H
N
4H

I wish mine remained this simple... I guess it still is after you get used to it, but going from those 4 positions to a twin stick Dana 300 with 2 sticks and only 3 positions each is confusing! haha...

that's excactly what it is, 4l 2h n 4h thats what got me kinda puzzled cause got both 4l and 4h o'well guess tranny/and transfer cases getting put on the list of things to rebuild lol (can anyone borrow me a 15mm wrench....lol)

My Dana 300 :
4L
N
2H
4H
If its the Dana 300 it should be:

4L
2H
N
4H

Im going with this. Have someone shift the t-case while your under there taking a peek.
Sounds like the linkage or shift rails.

got my 15mm crescent right here.:laugh:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom