Grounding on Fiberglass Body

Grounding on Fiberglass Body

scjarena

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 Jeep CJ5, 258, 4spd, fiberglass body
I’m in the process of installing a Painless wiring harness in my 79 CJ5 with a fiberglass body. As for ground, the engine is grounded to the frame, I’ll run extra ground wires to connect the dash, core support, starter solenoid, horn. Anything else I’m missing that I need to ground? Thanks

I’m in the process of installing a Painless wiring harness in my 79 CJ5 with a fiberglass body. As for ground, the engine is grounded to the frame, I’ll run extra ground wires to connect the dash, core support, starter solenoid, horn. Anything else I’m missing that I need to ground? Thanks

:)Anything that runs off of 12 volts will need a direct path to ground to your battery. The ground wire should be of equal size that is powering the circuit.............In some case's a ground buss is helpful say under the dash so that your only running one large lead from the ground on your battery to the buss. Then smaller leads from accessories to the buss. Do some planning to eliminate extra runs.

Your turn signels & marker lights both front & rear........and headlights.

:D:D:D:D

^^X2^^
I also ran a direct ground to the engine, I wouldn't trust the frame for any grounds.

A large ga. ground wire to the alternator bracket.

Thanks for the tips. I went to the boat supply store and found this cool grounding bus strip. I planning to use it for a common ground point for the lower amp grounding.

ground_zps194f9b24.png

You may also need to run a ground from the fan motor plate to your grounding plate. With a fiberglass tub, you will no longer have metal to metal contact with the firewall to help ground it. Otherwise, you might end up with an unintentional intermittent fan (if it runs at all). I just soldered a ground wire on the plate and ran it through the firewall to frame.

Oh yeah, the fan motor, I knew I was forgetting something. thanks

The buss bar looks like a nice one. Here is a pic of my buss bar with the white ground wires going to it.You are on the right track for sure.Just wire it like it where a boat.Early VW bugs are that way with a ground to everything instead of using the chassis.Them Germans are smart.Saves a lot of trouble.

Mstar, did you use a harness to run that setup or did you do everything yourself?

While you're at it would ya mind rewiring my 79 CJ5 w/ a fiberglass tub?

Well, we might want to see if mine works first before I work on anyone's else. lol

Chassis and frame grounding work fine. I have frame grounding for my 77' Cherokee. Welded SS ground studs to the frame and have good chassis grounds.

:)Anything that runs off of 12 volts will need a direct path to ground to your battery. The ground wire should be of equal size that is powering the circuit.............In some case's a ground buss is helpful say under the dash so that your only running one large lead from the ground on your battery to the buss. Then smaller leads from accessories to the buss. Do some planning to eliminate extra runs.

Your turn signels & marker lights both front & rear........and headlights.

:D:D:D:D
Well to the parts store and the shop i go,i have work to do. Never gave a buss a thought.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom