Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 Jeep Cj5 Renegade
I258 1987 Engine
Aisin Warner Ax15 Transmission
Dana 300 Transfer Case
I have a full fiberglass body 1980 CJ5 Renegade , and was wondering if a hard top was an option. I have no idea if there is problems with having one with fiberglass or if there are any differences with sizing or corners or anything. Anything you know will be helpful. Are all hardtops metal or do they have fiberglass ones too? What can it support? What does a used hardtop cost for a CJ5 ? If this is not even an option and a dumb idea, let me know.

Thanks!

I've seen CJ7 's with fiberglass bodies that had hard tops on them. BUT the way my body was made the hard top did not fit to well, so I just got a soft top.

I've seen CJ7 's with fiberglass bodies that had hard tops on them. BUT the way my body was made the hard top did not fit to well, so I just got a soft top.

I was just about to say the exact same thing. Some of the fiberglass bodies do not have a big enough lip on the top of the tub to support a hardtop. Rallytops is the only place that I know of that makes brand new CJ5 hardtops, but they're not cheap.

Rallytops hardtop
rallyetops_cj5.jpg

If you scour craigslist or ebay you may be able to fine an CJ5 ACME top and doors, but again, they usually go for a decent chunk of change.

ACME hardtop and doors
acme_cj5.jpg

I had a factory top on my '86. Now I have a YJ top on my '85 CJ. I like the look. Except for the lift gate, I don't really see any differences.

it's too bad that rally tops is in california! i'm in georgia and there really isnt anywhere that i know of that has hard tops for cj-5s or for cjs in general.

does anyone know of any that are near GA?

Sweetpeet, check Craigslist in Chattanooga, North GA., Huntsville, Atlanta.. Not sure what part of Ga you are in but I have seen tops on there recently. Sorry, I got excited and failed to look and see if you have a 5 or 7. Good luck

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sweetpeet, check Craigslist in Chattanooga, North GA., Huntsville, Atlanta.. Not sure what part of Ga you are in but I have seen tops on there recently. Sorry, I got excited and failed to look and see if you have a 5 or 7. Good luck

yah I have checked.... theres nothing. :(

Sweet, if you are still interested in a hardtop, a guy in Shelbyville, TN has a posting on Craigslist. I have the phone app which will alert you to postings. Not sure how to send a "thread bump"

I have a full fiberglass body 1980 CJ5 Renegade , and was wondering if a hard top was an option. I have no idea if there is problems with having one with fiberglass or if there are any differences with sizing or corners or anything. Anything you know will be helpful. Are all hardtops metal or do they have fiberglass ones too? What can it support? What does a used hardtop cost for a CJ5 ? If this is not even an option and a dumb idea, let me know.Thanks!

Hardtops were never, well not never, but in the more recent years were not an option on the 5's. That was one of the draws to the 7, was that a hardtop was an option. Now you could buy them for 5's in an aftermarket brand, just not from factory.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom