Hardtop paint suggestions

Hardtop paint suggestions

dslywalker

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7,258,stock
Original Owner
After AMC 150 cans of flat black spray paint since 1983 I'd like to put a good coat of something on my Hardtop.Something that will last a few years.Anything good out there that can be applied without going to a body shop.
Thanx Mike:D

So Im going to guess that you dont have a spray gun?

Yep got the spray gun
aircraft paint stripper to be rid of the rattle can stuff, sand and a single stage epoxy. have you ever used epoxy paint before?:D
urithane is also a good choice and not as toxic.
There are a thousand and one web sites that will help you choose the right paint.
every body and his brother wants to paint a car.

Its all good if you can use a can you can learn to use a gun.... the single stage paint seems easier to scratches out:chug:

Nope never used single stage epoxy.Sound likes fun:D
Thanx Mike
It is fun, but with the epoxy you have to wear a VERY good resperator. not a little paper mask. This stuff can cancel your trolly pass if you breath it. epoxy requires special filters. urethane is a bit better but still a vapor to respect. Do a little home work and you will be good, you may even want to do more of it. Make sure the kids and the dogs are some place else.:cool:

Thanx I'll give that a try.I was going to take it to the body shop but they wanted it on the Jeep.Then they had to mask everything and the price kept going up.Tried 3 body shops and they all refused to do it on stands.I wanted it done inside and out but no one would do it.Guess times ain't that tough.Even Earl Scheib turned it down.
Mike

This is what I painted mine with last summer. It looks good and is holding up.
IMG00049-20100418-1034.jpg

This is about a half an hour after I finished painting it. I did it next to my drive way. I just thinned the paint with thinner and sprayed it on. I did the inside with white before I did the exterior.

IMG00014-20090822-1801.jpg
IMG00013-20090822-1801.jpg
IMG00012-20090822-1801.jpg

Thanx NITOR never thought of oil based paint.Hard to believe its still holding up after a year.We have that Arizona summer anything that sits in the sun is guaranteed 180 degrees hot.:chug:
Mike

Thanx NITOR never thought of oil based paint.Hard to believe its still holding up after a year.We have that Arizona summer anything that sits in the sun is guaranteed 180 degrees hot.:chug:
Mike

dslywalker, I rarely put it in the garage. I do put a soft top on during the summer. This top sits in the garage in the summer. Our summers here in Ohio aren't as brutal as yours. I grew up in the Phoenix area. I left when I was just starting high school. So I know how the summers can get.

Boy that had to take some getting used to in the winter in Ohio.
I moved here in 83 in the winter time from Iowa.Don't think I could take those Iowa winters again.Pretty bad when you walk into the house and a/c is set at 80 and feel cold.But its a dry heat right 110 degrees.Don't have to put a T-Stat in the Jeep it's already warmed up.
Mike

Boy that had to take some getting used to in the winter in Ohio.
I moved here in 83 in the winter time from Iowa.Don't think I could take those Iowa winters again.Pretty bad when you walk into the house and a/c is set at 80 and feel cold.But its a dry heat right 110 degrees.Don't have to put a T-Stat in the Jeep it's already warmed up.
Mike

It was quite a shock. I hate the cold. My wife has lived here all her life. Moving to the southwest again isn't an option (at least for the time being). You're right on the type of heat. That 110 with humidity would be unbearable. My CJ does have good heat though.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom