HEI DUI Distributor Wiring

HEI DUI Distributor Wiring

Niedhogg

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 Jeep CJ7 Renegade with 304ci V8, TH400 auto, Quadratrac T-case, Stock 20 and 30 rears with no mods yet, not sure of the gear ratio.. 4" Softride Superlift, w/widetrac shock towers and 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud-Terrains

'76 CJ5, 232 ci, T-150 3-speed, D20 T-case, Corp. 20 rear w/full float axles and lockout hubs and Detroit auto locker, D30 front w/lockout hubs, gear ratio is unknown..
I know I've read several threads on this, but I cannot search these threads at all for some reason. I don't know if it's something wrong with this forum search engine or what, but try searching for anything that has to do with HEI or DUI disributors and there are NO matches.

I'm looking for the threads that described the new relay wiring that's recommended for applying the 12V to the new distributor, and then anything else on removing all the unecessary wiring and voltage regulators from the engine compartment... please.

I ran a large wire from my sleinoid to the distributor. (don't remember the size but I know it was what was recommended)

HEIrelay01.gif

Are u just putting in a DUI? or upgrading the ignition control as well... For instance a MSD box.

If just the DUI busa has it right ^^

:chug:

This is exactly the drawing I was looking for.. Thanks, Busa.. and could you verufy the type of relay I needed? I bought one for it, just want to make sure it's right.. now, wasn't there another thread about getting rid of the unecessary wiring, you know, like the coil cap this relay is wired to, and the motorcraft voltage regulator? This is good for now, but I'll be wanting to get rid of all that stuff soon..

and the motorcraft voltage regulator?

Not sure about voltage regulator, has more to do with the Alternator and charging system, if I am not mistaken...

~ JR

I wondered if there was something to that, CJ, But I'm pretty sure that's exactly how I was trying to do search it..
Thanks!

Oh wait, I understand, Jim, I didn't notice that you could click on the advanced search, I thought it was a title for the search box, LOL..

Not sure about voltage regulator, has more to do with the Alternator and charging system, if I am not mistaken...

~ JR

That's what I'm curious about.. don't these alternators have a built in voltage regulator? I thought the GM alternators were self regulating..

Yes you should have an alternator with a built in regulator. Please use this link to fill out your profile: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/profile/edit/
I did see your jeep in the signature but the profile on the left makes it faster and easier to find out what you have.

Thanks, Busa.. and could you verufy the type of relay I needed? I bought one for it, just want to make sure it's right.
A 30 amp relay like what is often used for off road lights will work.
BoschRelay.jpg
Here is the pinouts. The relay will have either 4 or 5 connections. Either will work since you don't need connection 87A.
They match the earlier schematic.
relay3.jpg
relay1.jpg
There really isn't much wiring you can get rid of unless you do the nutter bypass or add a MSD ignition. You are replacing the coil so you can get rid of the negative wire to the coil. That's about it.

A 30 amp relay like what is often used for off road lights will work.
BoschRelay.jpg
Here is the pinouts. The relay will have either 4 or 5 connections. Either will work since you don't need connection 87A.
They match the earlier schematic.
relay3.jpg
relay1.jpg
There really isn't much wiring you can get rid of unless you do the nutter bypass or add a MSD ignition. You are replacing the coil so you can get rid of the negative wire to the coil. That's about it.

Ok good, I've got the 4 pin relay so that's how I'll do it for now. So then, this nutter bypass??

So if I already have the built in regulator, then what is the purpose of the motorcraft unit on the fenderwell?? Can I at least unplug it and get rid of it?

No don't take that out. The motorcraft unit on the fenderwell is the ignition module. I think you still need that. The module in the HEI replaces much of the motorcraft unit but I think you still need the unit on the fender. Try disconnecting and see how it runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disconnect the motorcraft unit on the fender and see how it runs.

Disconnect the motorcraft unit on the fender and see how it runs.

I'll try that tomorrow I guess, out of time tonight, dark comes early 'round here..

Good news is, IT STARTS WITH THE KEY!!! WOOO HOOO!! Thanks for everyones help.. I'll now be moving to the electrical forum to ask some other questions about some seemingly simple items.. follow along please... :D

Gm weatherproofs are the best. Junkyard for those.

I have Napa AR204 relay. 5 pin.

The pigtail is EC203. 5 pin socket, four wire.

A lot of manufacturers are discontinuing the quality relays.
The connector locking terminal (like CG7 and CG8) for connectors are also discontinued.

You don't need the pigtail. Just use uninsulated style terminals that crimp on the wire and the insulation (they don't tend to fall off like the insulated ones) with shrink tubing over the ends.

Napa 784570, Napa784574.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom