HELP!!!! AMC 360 timing issues, won't start

HELP!!!! AMC 360 timing issues, won't start

reds057

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ7 AMC 360, T18a, Dana 300 twin stick, dana 30, Model 20, 33 MT baja's
'82 CJ7 with AMC 360 (never rebuilt, YET). I replaced the timing chain with a edelbrock one, installed a edelbrock 4 barrel intake and 600 cfm carb (from a stock 2 barrel intake/carb). I already had a MSD ignition box, distribitor, and coil that worked for the last 2 years and I didn't disturb the wiring. I matched the dots before and after removing/installing the chain. I pulled the No. 1 plug and made sure that it was at TDC with a stick. I set the distribitor from that facing no 1 port on the cap. I cranked it over and it will start to fire up sometimes but then dies and only with the starter. I have burnt out 1 starter and killed 2 batteries so far. I have pulled all they spark plugs and cranked it over just fine with the starter but it is really fighting with the in. What can I do now???? Or is anyone around or know a moblie mechanic in the Mesa, AZ area that can help???

My Wife is getting pissed because I'm suppose to be on vacation with the family instead of with the Mistress (it's what she calls the jeep).

:ww: to the site reds057 and sorry to hear about your problems reds057.

You said the Jeep states to fire then dies. Does it back fire at all through the carb?

Sounds like your timing is off, I would turn the dist about 10 degrees in one direction and try that, if nothing turn back to where you had zero and then go about ten degrees in the other direction.

Did you check your timing chain links? It's easy to be off one link. I attached a PDF on how to properly put on and check the timing chain on an AMC.

This thread is useful also -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/properly-setting-time-937/

Well S#@&. The old chain had alot of slack in it and now it makes me question how far off the cam is. Again I made sure the dots lined up but with the slack; well back to square one. The wife is not going to be happy with me spending more money. Getting parts for AMC's are a challenging locally. I write down every part I use to avoid the high school kid behind the desk at the auto store. So I guess I'll start with pulling the valve cover and borrowing a dail indicator. I'm from Washington state and travel for work so my tools are in storage and I only brought enought to get me this far.

Don't tear it apart yet! Let's get it running first!

Try turning the distributor first to get it started. If you can't get the timing set correctly using a light after you get it running that may be your problem.

1) Get it running no matter where the distributor has to be.
2) Now using a timing light see if you can adjust the timing to about 8 deg BTDC.

BTW - You didn't say if it is backfiring out of the carb or just has no power to stay running.

Also follow JeepHammers advice in the thread thread on Jeepforums you made to get the initial timing set.

thats the biggest issue. It won't start. I have not adjusted the new edelbrock carb. I have spark and fuel but no matter how much I turn the distribitor it wont fire up. I have been turning it a "C.H." at a time while the wife cranks it over. again it will act like it wants to start but only while the starter is going. plus fuel is splashing out of the carb every so often. So a Vacuum/Cam problem???

Could be many things. I'm assuming you checked the spark. What about with starting fluid?

As for fuel splashing out of the crab? Ouch! Sounds like the float is not adjusted correctly. Is it flooded? Check a plug or two.

What about setting the timing again, disconnecting the fuel line and then using starting fluid?

The plugs are a little black but I know she's run on worse. It's a brand new edelbrock carb so as they say"it's ready to go out of the box" which I am questioning that now. I checked my TDC again. I had my wife hold a stick in the No. 1 hole and rotated it back and forth to find it for sure. TDC was about 5 degrees before TDC on the balancer. then I install the distributor facing no. 1 wire on the cap and vacuum port about where it would hit the power steering belt like before. I rotated 2 times by hand and it ended up at my same mark. It spins better now with the starter but a BIG no go for starting.

Just putting a stick in the spark plug hole doesn't tell you if it is on 1 firing stroke though. You need to be on a compression stroke. There is a compression stroke and an exhaust stroke. The engine makes two revolutions.

To accurately tell if you are on a compression stoke you need to make sure both valves are closed by either holding a finger in a spark plug hole and feeling for compression or looking at the rocker arms and making sure both valves are closed.

Are you sure you are on the compression stroke?

JeepHammers post on JeepForums is a great guide for finding the compression stroke.

yes I used a remote switch to feel pressure and then had her come down to feel it while I fine tuned it to the very top. but if I was wrong then I would get a fire ball out of the carb right? So if i took the dist cap off and flipped the rotor 180 it would be then exact opposite right for the compression side right? it's a MSD and it can flip 180 and screw down without removing the distributor.

Sorry it's been 110 degrees down here and 8 days in the sun I'm getting burnt out as well as burnt skinned. Thanks for replying and your help. I was due back to work tomorrow in California but I'm not going to make it anywhere right now.

To accurately tell if you are on a compression stoke you need to make sure both valves are closed by looking at the rocker arms and making sure both valves are closed.

As easy as it is to take the valve cover off it's worth it, just to make sure.
Are you sure your getting a good spark?

yes I used a remote switch to feel pressure and then had her come down to feel it while I fine tuned it to the very top. but if I was wrong then I would get a fire ball out of the carb right? So if i took the dist cap off and flipped the rotor 180 it would be then exact opposite right for the compression side right? it's a MSD and it can flip 180 and screw down without removing the distributor.

Sorry it's been 110 degrees down here and 8 days in the sun I'm getting burnt out as well as burnt skinned. Thanks for replying and your help. I was due back to work tomorrow in California but I'm not going to make it anywhere right now.
Yep, you would usually get a backfire. If you have a good spark, fuel, air and are not flooded too badly you might have the cam in wrong.

You have verified the spark?

You tried starting fluid?

Can you put on the old carb?

I really hate for you to pull the timing cover and that not be the problem!

Had to take a break and take the kid to Transformers 3. They should have a jeep in it!!! I'll pull the valve cover in the morning. Can I see if both are closed without a dial indicator? or am I going to have to rent one?

The other question is what direction should the distributor sleeve face? I mean i could move the spark plug wires to the next port over still and it would still work??? anyways what direction should the vacuum port normal face at TDC?

Had to take a break and take the kid to Transformers 3. They should have a jeep in it!!! I'll pull the valve cover in the morning. Can I see if both are closed without a dial indicator? or am I going to have to rent one?

The other question is what direction should the distributor sleeve face? I mean i could move the spark plug wires to the next port over still and it would still work??? anyways what direction should the vacuum port normal face at TDC?

Yes you will see the valves moving as you turn the motor over, no need for a dial ind., you will still need your stick to find tdc though.

I would move the dis. a tooth before I rewired it
Someone left a good reply for you at JF about setting you timing with a spark plug.
I like this idea as you can see what kind of spark you have also.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom