High pitch sound

High pitch sound

Preacher Boy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1962-CJ6 (4 cylinder) Tranny a T-90 with a splitter and T-case is a DANA 18.
Ok this is similar to Apebrains question about the grinding noise but different. Tranny is making a really high pitched noise. Sounds like two pieces of metal rubbing together at high speeds. It only does it when I am cruising down the road in 3 gear both in 3rd and 3 and a half (I was told it was called a half gear). Anyway, it doesn't make the noise when I let off the gas or if I am going up a hill putting stress on the tranny (at least not near as loud) only when I am cruising on flat ground or giving a little gas going down hill. It is so loud can't hear anything over it. My kids practically had to yell in order for me to hear them. Any thoughts?

OK first question: do you have an OD on there? That is the only way to get a "1/2" gear in an old Jeep.
Second question: are you sure the front axle hubs are unlocked? and your not in four wheel drive?
Third: can you post a pic of what you have including the gear shifters?

Any history we should know about?

When you say half, are we talking an Overdrive ?

Have you since buying it, checked fluid levels? Or changed fluids?
Im assuming new to you? Not sure... Forgive the following if wrong

Can you tell for sure the noise is coming from the tranny? Noises travel in these things... Hard to tell sometimes. I had a noise in my tranny a week ago, figured out my seat bracket bolt had come loose... No more noise...

My guess, though i hope not, would be possibly the tranny input shaft bearing... Or the piolet bushing... That i know of theres no real way to know that without pulling the tranny... So those would be the last thing id check...

So what i would do ( im not an expert...) is assume maybe the noise is elsewhere or hope anyways...

Id start with repacking wheel bearings. Might not be the problem, but good to do and doesnt cost anything but time, a tub of grease, and purchasing the hub tool that you will be needing eventually...

Then id grease all u joints on everything... Again from your desription i dont think it will be the demon, but it wont hurt and if it hasent been done by you yet, who knows when PO did it last...

After these id take for a drive, hope no noise... Then id probably, again for peace of mind, change tranny and Transfer Case fluid (dont know much about overdrives... Fluid share??), and again if me, the front and rear end fluids, inspecting the gears while in there with cover off...

This will all cost you in gaskets and fluid id estimate around 100 bucks, and a saturday...

Then drive again see if gone :cool:

But then again i said im not an expert so id also wait for another member or two to reply before doing this... :cool: dont want u to be upset when none of the above helps... Or when you pull the tranny and it had nothing to do with it :cool:

Just some 2c input is all ...

Hope you get it figured out man... Try to find some info on your drivetrain too if u can. We can help you id your componates so you'll know what you have...

:chug:

Only in 3rd gear?
Is this a 3 speed or a 4 speed?
If you are in top gear your input and output should rotate the same speed.
If you are not in top gear. Then there is a gear reduction.

I just bought the jeep a few days back and driven a couple times. Rain hasn't let up yet for me to check or change anything yet. Yes it has the OD gear. That is were i get the half gear. It has three gears. I will try and post a few pictures as soon as the weather permits me to get outside and take some. Thanks for the coments. From the sounds of it I hope it isn't in the tranny.

I just bought the jeep a few days back and driven a couple times. Rain hasn't let up yet for me to check or change anything yet. Yes it has the OD gear. That is were i get the half gear. It has three gears. I will try and post a few pictures as soon as the weather permits me to get outside and take some. Thanks for the coments. From the sounds of it I hope it isn't in the tranny.

Heres a really good post /thread for new jeep owners : http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/what-do-after-getting-cj-home-3563/

Happy reading! :chug:

Thanks JR74CJ5. Very Good Read. I have my task ahead of me for the next non-rainy day I am home.

No problem man...

Lets try to get that noise narrowed down to an exact point if all the greasing doesnt help it... :chug:

Ok, going to try and get things greased and lubed up when I can catch a dry spell on my day off. Quick ? though: While I am under there, how do I tell what kind of Tranny and Transfer Case my jeep has. I tried to look for some type of numbering system, but didn't see really anything. Of coarse it was pretty oily underneath, but is there a certain location I need to look at to figure out what I have? I know it is a three speed and has a splitter or OD (maybe they are the same thing?). It has two more shifters for 4 wheel drive and High/Low. I have always like the older jeeps but don't really know to much about them.

how do I tell what kind of Tranny and Transfer Case my jeep has.
My guess is your 3 speed is a T-90 . They were used for decades and are very common. One unique trait of the T-90 is these 2 posts on the left side of the tranny.
t90_transmission.jpg
They may not have any purpose on your jeep but in some applications they were used to connect up the linkages for the shift on vehicles that have a column shift. Like this:
t90_side_shift_version.jpg
I think your TCase is a Dana 18. It has 2 shift levers and an offset rear output.
dana_18_transfer_case.jpg
To verify the offset rear output look at your rear axle. If the differential is offset to the passenger side then you probably have the Dana 18.

There are 3 overdrives you could have: Warn, Husky or Saturn. They all look similar and I don't know how to tell them apart.
19b582e0.jpg

If your Overdrive is old it is most likely a Warn. They were the first to make an Overdrive for the Dana 18.
Then a company call Husky started to copy the Warn Overdrive . They had to stop production when Warn sued them.
In the early '90s Advanced Adapters bought the rights from Warn to make the Overdrive . AA marketed the drive as a Saturn Overdrive . All 3 of these overdrives were basically the same.

the T-90 is a 3 speed
the T-98 is a 4 speed

From your description, sounds like worn intermediate shaft/bearings inside the Transfer Case .
Common problem, common for them to be noisy in between throttle ranges.
Can be changed with Transfer Case in the vehicle, might want to drop the pan on the Transfer Case and inspect.

There are 3 overdrives you could have: Warn, Husky or Saturn. They all look similar and I don't know how to tell them apart.
19b582e0.jpg

If your Overdrive is old it is most likely a Warn. They were the first to make an Overdrive for the Dana 18.
Then a company call Husky started to copy the Warn Overdrive . They had to stop production when Warn sued them.
In the early '90s Advanced Adapters bought the rights from Warn to make the Overdrive . AA marketed the drive as a Saturn Overdrive . All 3 of these overdrives were basically the same.

I don't think it is an Overdrive , it doesn't look like the picture. I was told it could be a splitter. Would that of been an option for this tranny?

From your description, sounds like worn intermediate shaft/bearings inside the Transfer Case .
Common problem, common for them to be noisy in between throttle ranges.
Can be changed with Transfer Case in the vehicle, might want to drop the pan on the Transfer Case and inspect.

What would I be looking for? Can I see the bearings fairly easy if I drop the pan? What if I need to replace, do I need to pull the whole Tcase out?

OK first question: do you have an OD on there? That is the only way to get a "1/2" gear in an old Jeep.
Second question: are you sure the front axle hubs are unlocked? and your not in four wheel drive?
Third: can you post a pic of what you have including the gear shifters?

Tried to post pictures but wasn't able to figure that out yet. Any suggestions?

Any history we should know about?

When you say half, are we talking an Overdrive ?

Have you since buying it, checked fluid levels? Or changed fluids?
Im assuming new to you? Not sure... Forgive the following if wrong

Can you tell for sure the noise is coming from the tranny? Noises travel in these things... Hard to tell sometimes. I had a noise in my tranny a week ago, figured out my seat bracket bolt had come loose... No more noise...

My guess, though i hope not, would be possibly the tranny input shaft bearing... Or the piolet bushing... That i know of theres no real way to know that without pulling the tranny... So those would be the last thing id check...

So what i would do ( im not an expert...) is assume maybe the noise is elsewhere or hope anyways...

Id start with repacking wheel bearings. Might not be the problem, but good to do and doesnt cost anything but time, a tub of grease, and purchasing the hub tool that you will be needing eventually...

Then id grease all u joints on everything... Again from your desription i dont think it will be the demon, but it wont hurt and if it hasent been done by you yet, who knows when PO did it last...

After these id take for a drive, hope no noise... Then id probably, again for peace of mind, change tranny and Transfer Case fluid (dont know much about overdrives... Fluid share??), and again if me, the front and rear end fluids, inspecting the gears while in there with cover off...

This will all cost you in gaskets and fluid id estimate around 100 bucks, and a saturday...

Then drive again see if gone :cool:

But then again i said im not an expert so id also wait for another member or two to reply before doing this... :cool: dont want u to be upset when none of the above helps... Or when you pull the tranny and it had nothing to do with it :cool:

Just some 2c input is all ...

Hope you get it figured out man... Try to find some info on your drivetrain too if u can. We can help you id your componates so you'll know what you have...

:chug:

Changed fluids and packed all bearings, except front and rear end fluids. Noise is still present. Is the tranny imput shaft bearing the same as intermediate shaft bearing? If not how do I check to see if it is the problem?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom