Holley Sniper EFI

Holley Sniper EFI
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7. guess it has an 89 straight 6 with weber crab. Auto trans and transfer case (not sure what but stock [maybe 300 on the transfer]) open diffs. Hard top and doors
Hi ya, so did a search looking for info on the Holley sniper EFI kit. But unfortunately I came up with nothing. I'm looking for any info anyone has on the installation on a Jeep AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l inline 6. I know they're others, like the Howell, which a lot of people seem to like especially if you need it to be emissions compliant. However I like the Simplicity that the Holley EFI sniper kit says it is to install. Just trying to find some info if anyone has ever installed one before and actually how much work it is to do it. Holly says or makes it seem pretty straightforward and easy and something that could be done on a Saturday afternoon or Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I'm in Colorado, Boulder to be exact, and I do have to worry about emissions, but I have a way around that. Plus the CJ is 32 years old. So I believe I only have to pass the tailpipe test.

The reason I ask is because I just had a rebuilt long block installed and now my Weber carb needs to be rebuilt. At least I think it does, when I park the jeep in the garage overnight, the garage fills up with gas fumes. Ultimately I want to do some type of fuel injection. I just don't really have the funds to spend 12 to $1,500 on the EFI kit now or $500 on a carb. I'm not sure if my skill-set allows me to rebuild the carb or not and if I have to pay someone to rebuild a carb then I'm looking at more money which might just be easier to go with EFI. Which I think I am capable. And if I think I'm capable of doing that then why shouldn't I be capable of installing a new carb or rebuilding my carb!

Any thoughts or feedback?

I do plan on having the mechanic that did the install take another look at it. Just to see if the fuel line is loose or something, but I see nothing dripping. And it's Saturday an I'm not sure his quickly I can get it back to him.

Thanks
Scott

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

How does it run with the carb on it? anything unusual? stumbling, rough idle, stalling, black smoke out the tail pipe? if it runs good then I would look else were for your problems, when I bought my Jeep it had a pin hole leak in the gas tank making it smell bad but not enough to drip on the ground just on the skid plate. Check all of your fuel lines. Is your Charcoal canister still hooked up? its job is to absorb fuel vapor smells. I have no personal experience with the Holley set up. I do have experience with Howell and it is a great kit, thats doable over a weekend

Another thing to keep in mind when considering an EFI conversion is the fuel system. Building a daily driver reliable fuel system to support EFI is a much bigger hassle than installing and setting up the injection unit itself. External pumps are noisy and seem to fail frequently. In tank oem style pumps are the way to go, and Holley, Aeromotive and others make some units designed to drop in existing fuel tanks, but they are pricey. You also need to run supply and return lines that are capable of withstanding high pressure and a suitable fuel filter to protect your injectors. If your injection unit does not provide for it, you also need to wire in an oil pressure safety switch that kills the fuel pump when oil pressure is lost so your pump does not continue running after a rollover or other accident. Most EFI systems on the market rely on accurate feedback from O2 sensors to run closed loop or for self tuning, so your exhaust system must be leak free at least until a few feet past the sensor.

If you are using a system that controls ignition timing, you may also need to modify or replace your distributor to accommodate that.

Not trying to steer anyone away from EFI, because it is pretty awesome, but doing it right does require more effort than some of the manufacturers may lead you to believe.

I would say go for it. I have had my Howell smog legal kit for around 10 years. Getting myself dialed in to the system has been a challenge similar to learning the carburetor and its components. Just that with the e.f.i., I now have a computer to help learn about it.

I'm doing one of these in May as it stands now. I would get the "kit" and not just the unit itself. Download all the documents and read, should be pretty straightforward. This video is nice as well...

https://youtu.be/HdWiL0v-jpk

I'm doing one of these in May as it stands now. I would get the "kit" and not just the unit itself. Download all the documents and read, should be pretty straightforward. This video is nice as well...

https://youtu.be/HdWiL0v-jpk

Pretty neat video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That video made it look doable! But then they always do

How does it run with the carb on it? anything unusual? stumbling, rough idle, stalling, black smoke out the tail pipe? if it runs good then I would look else were for your problems, when I bought my Jeep it had a pin hole leak in the gas tank making it smell bad but not enough to drip on the ground just on the skid plate. Check all of your fuel lines. Is your Charcoal canister still hooked up? its job is to absorb fuel vapor smells. I have no personal experience with the Holley set up. I do have experience with Howell and it is a great kit, thats doable over a weekend

I would say the jeep runs pretty good, it does seem to stumbling occasionally. The charcoal canister is still hooked up.

I am dropping it back off next Monday and the shop is going to check all the fuel lines, vent lines, and tank. They need to do a few adjustments to other parts of the jeep. So I have them check the above. I will let you all know what happens.

Thanks

I've been waiting on these to ship for over a year now, they finally started shipping late 2016 so now it's front and center on my list to do. I'm sick and tired of carb and carb related inconsistencies and V A P O R L O C K in the mountains.

I know the successful history carburetors have had for the past 100+ years, so I'm not blaming my problems on the carburetor. The problem is that I don't know enough about them to keep them tuned where they need to be and finding someone who does is becoming harder and harder. I guess I can add chokes to the list as well.

I picked up a 78 Cherokee that will get the treatment as well.

What shop are you using? I have been doing business in Boulder for over 30yrs and know almost everybody and would like to help if I can.

First off I'd like to say I am by know way complaining about the shop, Greg has been great! the shop that I used is Greg's 4WD Extreme. Mtnwhlr, I would love to hear any feedback you have about him. I shopped around a little and he is by no means the cheapest nor the most expensive but he seemed like the most capable guy to work on an old Jeep that wasn't Factory or straightforward replacement. He is going to take it another look at it on Monday he thinks maybe we have a bad vent line from the gas tank or something simple. Since the Jeep seems to run pretty good

As far as the brakes go I think they just need to be bled there's probably in there somewhere from sitting so long because it Jeep has sat since August

I don't know anything about them because the are in Longmont but I didn't like the review I read about them. The best guy I know was in Boulder then Longmont and is now out in Keensburg and can fix anything. I have worked on alot of his old stuff and he has worked on alot of my Jeeps. If they don't get you fixed let me know and I can send you to him. He is a great guy who knows is stuff.

As far as the brakes go I think they just need to be bled there's probably in there somewhere from sitting so long because it Jeep has sat since August

I don't think it sitting has anything to with it, my new Jeep has been sitting for over two years and the breaks are fine. If i can help in any way let me know.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom